Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2002/08/20 22:47:03 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-site/xdocs index.xml

jerenkrantz@apache.org wrote:

> jerenkrantz    2002/08/20 13:37:11
>
>   Modified:    docs     index.html
>                xdocs    index.xml
>   Log:
>   We don't call ourselves Apache HTTPD anywhere else.  Just change it to
>   what www.apache.org uses.

dev@httpd.apache.org
httpd.apache.org

:)

Actually, the formal title is Apache HTTPD Server Project (and PMC)

Re: cvs commit: httpd-site/xdocs index.xml

Posted by RapidFX <gr...@rapidfx.com>.
Hello...

True, but I would like to know what the 'official' name should be.

--
Greg S. Wirth
Anchorage, Alaska

Re: cvs commit: httpd-site/xdocs index.xml

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> Wait, now we have two people stating different "official" names. Either
> it has the D or not..

The official name is "Apache HTTP Server Project".  Just look at
httpd.apache.org or www.apache.org and that's pretty clear.

> the people I talk to just call it "Apache" or "the Apache server" or
> even rarely "the Apache webserver".

Yeah, but that's not the official name.

> This whole thing is silly anyway

Yes, but nitpicking is fun!  ;]

--Cliff

Re: cvs commit: httpd-site/xdocs index.xml

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Oh, I know, but I believe it is "Apache HTTP Server Project" and its
> abbreviation is httpd.

This is correct, FWIW.

--Cliff

Re: cvs commit: httpd-site/xdocs index.xml

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 04:47:03PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> dev@httpd.apache.org
> httpd.apache.org
>
> :)
>
> Actually, the formal title is Apache HTTPD Server Project (and PMC)

Oh, I know, but I believe it is "Apache HTTP Server Project" and it's
abbreviation is httpd.  Yes, this is splitting hairs.

We're constantly trying to removed the stupid D from places where
it doesn't belong.  Nowhere else on httpd.apache.org do we say:
"Apache HTTPD" or "Apache HTTPD Server Project."

Regardless - having a title of "Apache HTTPD - The Apache HTTP Server
Project" seemed redundant.  -- justin