Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2003/10/28 10:36:37 UTC

Configuring pools - how?

Hi all,

Having read the pools howto in the docs from an end user point of view,
I can say they do not answer the question "how to".

Specifically, it highlights a number of ways in which pools can be
configured, but neglects to mention clearly the recommended way to
configure pools.

In addition, it seems that config from both the bookshop example, and
config from Scarab have been mixed together in the section marked
"Tomcat example of external configuration/binding", which has confused me.

It would seem to me that the best way to configure the pool, is to let
the container create the pool and make it available. The howto neglects
to mention though how the Torque singleton should be initialised in this
case: Torque.init(<what?>).

Is it possible to make the docs clearer?

Regards,
Graham

Re: Configuring pools - how?

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
>From the howto:

  JndiDataSourceFactory

  This factory is used if the DataSource is to be available via jndi.
  It is possible to use this factory to deploy a DataSource into jndi,
  but in many cases for using this factory the DataSource is already
  deployed. This factory is specified with the following property:

torque.dsfactory.bookstore.factory=org.apache.torque.dsfactory.JndiDataSourceFactory

  Using pre-configured pool

  If a pool is known to already be available via jndi, only one more
  property is required.

  torque.dsfactory.bookstore.jndi.path=jdbc/bookstore

which covers your personal best way to configure.  It is definitely a
valid option.  Others are equally valid though and I think many users
who only need the pool to be used by torque, just use torque's built in
configuration such as that shown in the SharedPoolDataSource section.
So the order of the options implies some preference, but I don't think
there is any reason to specify that one is preferred over the other.

john mcnally