Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Xiaojian Zhou <gz...@pivotal.io> on 2019/06/01 00:18:53 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] require reviews before merging a PR

I think my recent practice with Eric Shu's PR #3623 could be a good
example.

In this specific bug with a lot of context, it's hard for Eric Shu to find
3 persons to review. Bruce and I are the 2 right persons who know the
history and context.

Eric came to me many times and we had a lot of discussion.  I logged the
major design in GEM-2425 as comment in order not to forget (I think it's a
good idea to log the major design into either GEM or GEODE ticket). When he
finally sent me a PR, I challenged him how he implemented the design. He
walked me through the use cases and corner cases. I noticed he used some
trick logics to implement. Then I add a new comment in GEM-2425 to explain
the tricks.

As I feel it's good enough to approve, I purposely wait for Bruce to give
another review. Not surprisingly, Bruce raised the same concerns for the
tricks. Then I append the detail design and implementation into the PR to
see if it can convince Bruce. I saw Bruce asked Eric to add comments in the
code or javadoc for the tricks.

Above steps can be an alternative to review meetings. Since reviewers are
usually busy with their own assignments. If participated into 2 PR review
meetings a day, there's nothing to report for next day's standup.

If a PR requested multiple reviewers explicitly, then all of them should
approve. I think we can add this as a rule.

Regards
Gester