Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> on 2011/11/29 10:48:06 UTC

Reactions on ubuntu one dropping couchdb?

Hi,

I wonder that there's so few to no reaction about ubuntu one dropping CouchDB
and as a consequence also desktopcouch. I'm really sad about this, since I
really liked the idea of having my PIM data in CouchDB rather then in SQL
(default Akonadi store).

How do you think about this? Even if the ubuntu people were not able to scale
CouchDB, that doesn't seem to be a reason for me to also drop CouchDB on the
client. Is desktopcouch a sane concept that could be continued even without
Cloudera?

Maybe they just didn't want to have Erlang on the client?[1]

[1] http://blog.novacut.com/2011/11/note-on-ubuntu-one-dropping-couchdb.html

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Bookmarks:

 * Desktopcouch alternative: https://launchpad.net/dc3
 * Email archive with CouchDB? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8276110/how-
to-implement-an-imap-server-on-top-of-a-couchdb-nosql-data-store

Re: Reactions on ubuntu one dropping couchdb?

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.
On Nov 30, 2011, at 2:27 AM, Thomas Koch wrote:

> some review from a desktopcouch user:
> https://lists.launchpad.net/u1db-discuss/msg00043.html

Interesting; this point echoes what I posted about yesterday:

>>    - *Replicating views, storing views in the DB* - from the desktop
>>    perspective, views are app data, not user data, so get them out of the
>>    user's database! different devices will have different apps installed, and
>>    different versions at that; plus in my experience, it seems easier to
>>    stabilize the schema than the views... so separate them!

I also agree with his points about Erlang, having spent part of the last five months trying to cram it into an iPhone with as little overhead as possible…

—Jens

Re: Reactions on ubuntu one dropping couchdb?

Posted by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro>.
James Marca:

Posted by James Marca <jm...@translab.its.uci.edu>.
+1 to getting some more informed discussion on this point.

CouchDB works very well for the applications I am using it for, but I
would love to see an informed critique of how and why CouchDB was
unable to scale for Ubuntu.

Regards,
James Marca