Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2020/04/15 16:46:49 UTC

Re: [Mifos-users] Mifos X/Fineract Fixed Product Customisation

Airsay,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and expressing an interest to make
these contributions back to the upstream codebase.

I have cc'd @Bharath Gowda <bg...@mifos.org> who can help in pointing you
to the right areas of the codebase as well as validating your functional
gaps and the approach to addressing them.

Your code changes will involve modifications to both the back end, Apache
Fineract, and the front-end Community App so please create tickets on the
respective issue trackers with these feature requests so when you make
corresponding pull requests you can reference the tickets that document the
changes being proposed.

Fineract JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/FINERACT/summary
Github Issues for Community App:
https://github.com/openMF/community-app/issues

Please follow the coding conventions  at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Coding+Conventions to
ensure you meet quality standards and can enable a smooth review of your
pull request to get it merged in promptly.

I'm cc'ing the Fineract Dev list and our Discourse Forum for Mifos
Development.

Ed

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 9:37 AM Airsay Longcon <ai...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I hope we are all doing our best to stay safe during this pandemic.
>
> So I've been evaluating Mifos X for 4 months now and have identified areas
> where we would like to tweak/customise the code to surrounding Fixed
> Deposit Products and Accounts to suit our operations. It's is a deal
> breaker if mifos doesn't meet the following at minimum.
> 1) Interest Rate=Nominal Rate /12. That is interest rate is fixed monthly.
> 2) Interest is posted on the same date of the month as the Date the Fixed
> Deposit Account was activated. If that date doesn't exist in that month
> (say February 30) then interest is posted on the last day of that month.
>
> Above 2 at a minimum need to be available.
>
> 3) Fixed Deposit accounts should be able to accept Deposits and
> Withdrawals (like Savings accounts do). Deposits can only occur within 7
> days of Interest Posting.
>
> The codebase is a bit vast and I'm overwhelmed trying to figure out where
> to start. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction on where to
> start for the above requirements.
>
> Thank you
> Airsay

*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative

Re: [Mifos-users] Mifos X/Fineract Fixed Product Customisation

Posted by Bharath Gowda <bg...@mifos.org>.
Hi Airsay,

Welcome to the Mifos Community, Please find the below inline responses and
suggestions

1) Interest Rate=Nominal Rate /12. That is interest rate is fixed monthly.

- Interest rate chart
<https://mifosforge.jira.com/wiki/spaces/docs/pages/121831466/Interest+rate+chart+with+amount+range>
of FD account is very flexible in configuration with n number of slabs
based on time period and amount range,
however, the interest rate we define for all the slab is annual interest
rate, which is internally further converted into interest per day(based on
the days in year we select 365/360) and calculates interest based on the
parameter of "*interest calculated using*" and "*interest compounding
period*" fields.

Hence, either you pass the interest rate as monthly or yearly, the internal
calculation remains the same, therefore instead of code change, I would
suggest to use this field by entering the yearly interest rate only.

However, if you still favor customization, you can either do it on frontend
or backend,
if you are familiar with Angular JS and HTML Language, you can refer the
following files to understand the codebase of FD products and accounts

createfixeddepositproduct.html
editfixeddepositproduct.html
EditFixedDepositProductController.js
CreateFixedDepositProductController.js

fixeddepositproducts.html
editfixeddepositproduct.html
CreateFixedDepositAccountController.js
EditDepositAccountController.js

interestratecharts.html
InterestRateChartController.js

2) Interest is posted on the same date of the month as the Date the Fixed
Deposit Account was activated. If that date doesn't exist in that month
(say February 30) then interest is posted on the last day of that month.

- This enhancement sounds practical and could be a value addition to the FD
product,However codefix could not be easy as the first one, because the
calculation is the heart of the product and you may have to think through
and handle multiple scenarios in order to achieve this without
breaking/changing the existing features.
These changes have to be done on the fineract side and you can start with
the file "InterestRateChartsApiResource.java" through which you can
navigate to the respective GET,POST and PUT platform services.

@Dev <de...@fineract.apache.org>  Requesting the Dev team to help out Airsay
with more depth insight on these changes required, as i have little
knowledge on this section with respect to coding.

3) Fixed Deposit accounts should be able to accept Deposits and Withdrawals
(like Savings accounts do). Deposits can only occur within 7 days of
Interest Posting.

-  We would suggest to look around at our Recurring Deposit Product, in
which you can allow clients to Deposit and withdraw in the term period.

Regards,
Bharath
Lead Implementation Analyst | Mifos Initiative
Skype: live:cbharath4| Mobile: +91.7019636073
http://mifos.org  <http://facebook.com/mifos>
<http://www.twitter.com/mifos>