Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Posner <cu...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/24 03:37:06 UTC

tomcat 5.5 loads a blank page

Hi,
I'm new to this newsgroup and have a vexing problem.
I run tomcat using the startup script, for ex. /usr/share/tomcat5.5/bin
startup.sh and everything startsup with no errors, ie:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5.5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

but if I go to localhost:8180 a blank page is displayed with no errors in
catalina.out.
Here's the output from catalina.out when I startup tomcat as above:

root@coati:~# tail -f /usr/share/tomcat5.5/logs/catalina.out
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/58  config=null
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader load
INFO: Find registry server-registry.xml at classpath resource
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 599 ms

As I said I get the blank page when going to localhost:8180, and nothing
added to catalina.out, so no help in figuring this problem out.

As a comparison, I get the normal index.html page displayed when I go to
/usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin and run the startup script there
and go to localhost:8080. (i have both tomcats installed. I'll explain more
on this later)
I did a search and there is actually no index.html page in my tomcat5.5
installation. I installed this version from the ubuntu(gutsy)  repositories
using apt-get.
The /usr/share/tomcat5.5/webapps directory is empty there whereas the other,
/usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/webapps/ROOT/index.html, isn't.
Not sure this matters, though.
It seems like the home directories for the 2 tomcat installations are set up
a bit differently:

root@coati:~# ls /usr/share/tomcat5.5/
bin  common  conf  doc  logs  server  shared  temp  webapps  work

versus

root@coati:~# ls /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
bin   lib      logs    RELEASE-NOTES  temp     work
conf  LICENSE  NOTICE  RUNNING.txt    webapps

Now to the reason I'm using tomcat5.5 instead of the latest version.  I'm
trying to do web development using eclipse. I had to install eclipse using
apt-get also.
(After a week of trying to get the latest version of eclipse working from a
manual download, I gave up)
So I have eclipse 3.2.2 WTP with tomcat5.5 and I have a sample webapp that I
did using an eclipse tutorial, and everything seems to work,
 I can start tomcat server from eclipse with no errors, but the same thing
happens. When I go to load the jsp it's blank.
I am totally clueless on this one, so any ideas would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks,

Adam Posner

RE: tomcat 5.5 loads a blank page

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Adam Posner [mailto:cuco2772@gmail.com]
> Subject: tomcat 5.5 loads a blank page
>
> I installed this version from the ubuntu(gutsy)
> repositories using apt-get.

What you're experiencing is why those of us who have been around awhile strongly recommend (aka, insist) you don't try to use the 3rd-party repackaged versions, but rather always get a real Tomcat from the real download location.  The repackagers probably have their reasons for doing what they do, but they make it pretty much impossible for anyone other than another user of that particular repackaged version to help you.

If you can't use 6.0, try the real 5.5 from here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi

 - Chuck

Re: tomcat 5.5 loads a blank page

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
On 23 Jun 2008 at 18:37, Adam Posner wrote:

Date sent:	Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:37:06 -0700
From:	Adam Posner <cu...@gmail.com>
Subject:	tomcat 5.5 loads a blank page
To:	users@tomcat.apache.org
Send reply to:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

> Hi,
> I'm new to this newsgroup and have a vexing problem.
> I run tomcat using the startup script, for ex.
> /usr/share/tomcat5.5/bin
> startup.sh and everything startsup with no errors, ie:
>
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5.5/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
>
> but if I go to localhost:8180 a blank page is displayed with no
> errors in
> catalina.out.
> Here's the output from catalina.out when I startup tomcat as
> above:
>
> root@coati:~# tail -f /usr/share/tomcat5.5/logs/catalina.out
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
> start
> INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
> INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
> INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/58  config=null
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader
> load
> INFO: Find registry server-registry.xml at classpath resource
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
> INFO: Server startup in 599 ms
>
> As I said I get the blank page when going to localhost:8180, and
> nothing
> added to catalina.out, so no help in figuring this problem out.
>
> As a comparison, I get the normal index.html page displayed when I
> go to
> /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin and run the startup
> script there
> and go to localhost:8080. (i have both tomcats installed. I'll
> explain more
> on this later)
> I did a search and there is actually no index.html page in my
> tomcat5.5
> installation. I installed this version from the ubuntu(gutsy)
> repositories
> using apt-get.

If you must use tomcat 5.5 I (and many others on this list) highly recommend you uninstall
the packaged version of tomcat from 3rd party vendors and install it from the binary version
downloaded from apache.org.

http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi

> The /usr/share/tomcat5.5/webapps directory is empty there whereas
> the other,
> /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/webapps/ROOT/index.html,
> isn't.
> Not sure this matters, though.
> It seems like the home directories for the 2 tomcat installations
> are set up
> a bit differently:

Yes they are.

> root@coati:~# ls /usr/share/tomcat5.5/
> bin  common  conf  doc  logs  server  shared  temp  webapps  work
>
> versus
>
> root@coati:~# ls /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
> bin   lib      logs    RELEASE-NOTES  temp     work
> conf  LICENSE  NOTICE  RUNNING.txt    webapps
>
> Now to the reason I'm using tomcat5.5 instead of the latest version.
> I'm
> trying to do web development using eclipse. I had to install eclipse
> using
> apt-get also.

No, you didn't have to.

> (After a week of trying to get the latest version of eclipse working
> from a
> manual download, I gave up)
> So I have eclipse 3.2.2 WTP with tomcat5.5 and I have a sample
> webapp that I
> did using an eclipse tutorial, and everything seems to work,
>  I can start tomcat server from eclipse with no errors, but the same
> thing
> happens. When I go to load the jsp it's blank.
> I am totally clueless on this one, so any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks,

I'm not sure how ubuntu packages their tomcat but a developer from ubuntu has posted here
before that users are welcome to ask on their forums for support if they want to use their re-
packaged version of tomcat.

If it's anything like other distros you can try going into the /etc directory and start looking for
the tomcat config files, they are most likely in a sub-directory. The config files will give you a
clue as to how their version works.
Also, ubuntu, like other 3rd party repackgers of tomcat ship the example applications in a
separate download.

Your tomcat 6 install seems to be an install from the "real" version, from apache.org so that is
why it's functioning as intended.

-Steve O.

Re: tomcat 5.5 loads a blank page

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
> [...]
> bin  common  conf  doc  logs  server  shared  temp  webapps  work
>
> versus
>
> root@coati:~# ls /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
> bin   lib      logs    RELEASE-NOTES  temp     work
> conf  LICENSE  NOTICE  RUNNING.txt    webapps
>
> Now to the reason I'm using tomcat5.5 instead of the latest version.  I'm
> trying to do web development using eclipse. I had to install eclipse using
> apt-get also.
> (After a week of trying to get the latest version of eclipse working from
> manual download, I gave up)
> So I have eclipse 3.2.2 WTP with tomcat5.5 and I have a sample webapp that
> did using an eclipse tutorial, and everything seems to work,
> I can start tomcat server from eclipse with no errors, but the same thing
> happens. When I go to load the jsp it's blank.
> I am totally clueless on this one, so any ideas would be greatly

Adam, we dont use Ubuntu, the guru's here use debian, but as policy we never
install the JDK nor the Tomcat that comes with linux. They not quite to
same, and it depends on what the distribution felt like doing to it.

You can get the 5.5.25 version from the download site, I would just grab it
an unpack it to your installed location... look at the Archive pages
http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-5/

ie... do the apt-get or whatever ubuntu does, then put the real tomcat over
the other one.
If the JRE doesnt work, get Suns JRE... but if eclipse is working, then prob
ok, but if for example you where going to try Netbeans, then I would make
sure that its on Suns JRE...
Its just linux dists, they all make a different lucky packet ;)

Good luck ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.