Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by NeilLeigh <ne...@highwrite.com> on 2014/12/05 08:23:31 UTC

Wickedcharts (Wicked charts) Best Practice

I would like thank Tom Hombergs for Wickedcharts . It is a tremendous tool.
I’m still getting to grips with it (and with Highcharts for that matter) but
things are gradually falling into place.I’d like to ask a question regarding
recommended methodology regarding the source of chart ‘constants’.  For our
non-chart non-DB screen info we use the .properties files for getting texts
both via wicket-message keys and also  via wicket:id’s when the constant
needs to be conditional.So my question is how should we work in the most
efficient manner in terms of maintenance and performance? One approach I can
see is to prepare the chart options entirely in the Java program, as per
your example in getting started, taking the series data from the DB. All the
constant info like chart style and titles would be referenced by the Java
from the .properties file and then built into the chart options in the Java.
Is this the best approach? And if so, would you suggest breaking the
.properties texts into small pieces or larger chunks?There’s also another
variation. I feel efficiency would be improved and maintenance simplified if
I could provide the information for the chart from two different places,
with the DB info and conditional constant info being handled by the Java and
the true constant info like chart style and titles being handled at the
client, using the Wicket framework’s .properties file / wicket-key
mechanism. Is this possible?Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks for
your time. Neil Leigh

Re: Wickedcharts (Wicked charts) Best Practice

Posted by NeilLeigh <ne...@highwrite.com>.

tom.hombergs wrote
> Probably a better place to post this is the Wicked Charts Mailing list,
> since not all Wicket users know Wicked Charts:
> http://wicked-charts.2319560.n4.nabble.com

I will go there for future posts.

tom.hombergs wrote
> ..if I understand you correctly, you want to handle "common" chart
> configurations that is shared between several charts differently from the
> actual chart data that comes from the DB.

No, sharing configurations is not the issue. I'm just trying to find the
right way to produce a chart where I take some of the options info from the
database and other options from a .properties file. (I use the .properties
file and language specific xml files for all screen constants. I put also
some style requirements like image url, font classes and colors in the
properties files as well. The DB is only for the user's own data)

Thx, Neil

Re: Wickedcharts (Wicked charts) Best Practice

Posted by "tom.hombergs" <to...@gmail.com>.
Probably a better place to post this is the Wicked Charts Mailing list, since
not all Wicket users know Wicked Charts:
http://wicked-charts.2319560.n4.nabble.com/

However, if I understand you correctly, you want to handle "common" chart
configurations that is shared between several charts differently from the
actual chart data that comes from the DB.

If that is the case, then the Theme mechanism is the solution to you
problem. In a theme you can define pretty much everything you wish.

See the following links:
Themes in Highcharts: http://www.highcharts.com/demo/line-basic/dark-unica
(click on the "View Visual Theme" button)
Themes in Wicked Charts:
https://github.com/thombergs/wicked-charts/wiki/Feature%3A-Themes

Hope this helps.

Regards,