Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Bob Arnott <bo...@aungate.com> on 2004/12/09 12:36:08 UTC

Install problems...

I've just installed the binary version of Jetspeed 2 M1 into Tomcat 5.0.28
following the instructions at:

http://www.apache.org/dist/portals/jetspeed-2/JETSPEED-2.0-M1-README.txt

I then start the database and then Tomcat, but when I browse to the Jetspeed
portal under Tomcat I get the following exception:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Fatal error encountered while processing portal request: org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException: org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException:
org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException: org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.FailedToRenderFragmentException: Unable to render fragment because:
org.apache.jetspeed.container.window.FailedToRetrievePortletWindow: org.apache.jetspeed.container.window.FailedToCreateWindowException: Error generating new PortletEntity:
org.apache.jetspeed.components.portletentity.PortletEntityNotGeneratedException: Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for jetspeed::VelocityTwoColumns
	org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.doGet(JetspeedServlet.java:234)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)

I've Googled for "Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for jetspeed::VelocityTwoColumns"
which seems to indicate that there is something wrong with the database. However,
I'm running the binary install and there are no Maven scripts and the Readme
above doesn't make any mention of fiddling with the database before starting
Tomcat.

So what am I missing to get this running...?

Bob Arnott

Re: Install problems...

Posted by Bob Arnott <bo...@aungate.com>.
Ate Douma wrote:

[snipped...]

> Did you encounter this problem right away after the first time starting
> up Tomcat?

Yes.

> Try to stop and Tomcat again and see if the problem is resolved then.

Nope, it still did it...

> This error can be caused if Tomcat deployed a portlet application before
> Jetspeed had had a change of telling it so. Disabling Tomcat autodeploy would
> solve it in that case. That is described (as last) in the Deployment Optimization
> section in the readme.

I started the database and then ran ant so it did what ever it would have
done on a different database. I then had to start Tomcat twice, the first
time it just threw exception after exception. So I turned off autodeploy
in the server.xml and restarted and it now works.

Should I have had to run Ant or does the default database not come with
the schema fully defined...?

Bob Arnott

Software Developer
Autonomy Systems Ltd.
Cambridge Business Park
Cowley Road
Cambridge
CB4 0WZ

T: +44 (0) 1223 448 000
F: +44 (0) 1223 448 001
http://www.aungate.com/

Re: Install problems...

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Bob Arnott wrote:

> I've just installed the binary version of Jetspeed 2 M1 into Tomcat 5.0.28
> following the instructions at:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/portals/jetspeed-2/JETSPEED-2.0-M1-README.txt
>
> I then start the database and then Tomcat, but when I browse to the
> Jetspeed
> portal under Tomcat I get the following exception:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Fatal error encountered while processing
> portal request: org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException:
> org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException:
> org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException:
> org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.FailedToRenderFragmentException: Unable
> to render fragment because:
> org.apache.jetspeed.container.window.FailedToRetrievePortletWindow:
> org.apache.jetspeed.container.window.FailedToCreateWindowException:
> Error generating new PortletEntity:
> org.apache.jetspeed.components.portletentity.PortletEntityNotGeneratedException:
> Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for jetspeed::VelocityTwoColumns
>     org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.doGet(JetspeedServlet.java:234)
>
>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)
>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>
> I've Googled for "Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for
> jetspeed::VelocityTwoColumns"
> which seems to indicate that there is something wrong with the database.
> However,
> I'm running the binary install and there are no Maven scripts and the
> Readme
> above doesn't make any mention of fiddling with the database before
> starting
> Tomcat.
>
> So what am I missing to get this running...?
Did you encounter this problem right away after the first time starting up Tomcat?
Try to stop and Tomcat again and see if the problem is resolved then.
This error can be caused if Tomcat deployed a portlet application before Jetspeed
had had a change of telling it so. Disabling Tomcat autodeploy would solve it
in that case. That is described (as last) in the Deployment Optimization section
in the readme.

Regards,

Ate