Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Werner Schalk <we...@gmx.de> on 2003/10/16 19:25:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Syntax check on startup/stop

Hi,

is there a way not to let Apache 2 check the syntax of my httpd.conf when I do
try to start or stop it? Or in another words is there a way to start Apache
even when there are configuration mistakes that will prevent the server to
start?

Bye and thanks,
Werner.

Re: [users@httpd] Syntax check on startup/stop

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Werner Schalk wrote:
> is there a way to start Apache even when there are configuration mistakes
> that will prevent the server to start?

You want Apache to start when it is prevented to start? That sounds a bit
contradictive. Sorry, I don't think it is possible.

Just consider what sort of behaviour you think that Apache should have when
the configuration is broken. At least, if Apache would resume startup after
a configuration error, it would open up a whole range of security issues.

If what you are after is a way of avoiding your entire server going down
because a configuration mistake, just do a syntax check before restarting
it, and let it run with the old configuration if there is something wrong.

Regards,
Robert Andersson