Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Melidramo <a5...@kochira.com> on 2009/11/08 10:57:11 UTC

i18n overhead

We have about 200 properties files and 200 templates files.

Adding a language (+400 files) to the project had seemingly a huge impact on
the performance - to start the server at least - I'd say 50% more time
required.

Is there any performance impact based on the number of languages or prop/tml
files?
If so, is there a way (via some calls or files arrangement or...?) to
optimize the multi-language functionality?

We are using the version 5.

Re: i18n overhead

Posted by Melidramo <a5...@kochira.com>.
Howard,

thanks for the clarification.

Would the upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 bring any improvement in terms of speed or
resource usage?

Thanks,
regards

  MD

Re: i18n overhead

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
There's a lot of room for optimizations here; Tapestry is using the
ClassLoader.getResource() method extensively, and it is very, very
slow. More work to ensure that we don't constantly check and re-check
for the existence of files would make a huge difference in performance
when you are talking about this many properties files. The same may
apply to component templates (which can be localized if you like, thus
the same lookup overhead).

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Blower, Andy <An...@proquest.co.uk> wrote:
> We also have a lot of properties files, but so far only one translation. We will have 20+ translations in due course, so I would be concerned if there were performance problems/implications. We're already using 5.1, so I'd be interested if this version has issues will many files.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

RE: i18n overhead

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.

Re: i18n overhead

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:20:48 -0200, Melidramo <a5...@kochira.com> escreveu:

>> Why so many property files? Just curious. :)
> This is a big project...

:)

Re: i18n overhead

Posted by "Joost Schouten (ml)" <jo...@jsportal.com>.
Melidramo wrote:
>> Why so many property files? Just curious. :)
>>

> This is a big project...

Just a small note. I'm working on a projects with 100's of components
and pages that all need translations. I have chosen to put all
properties in one file (WEB-INF/app.properties). I'm not quite sure if
this is better for performance, but it deffenately makes translating a
lot easier than emailing 200+ files to a translation office ;-)

Cheer,
Joost

Re: i18n overhead

Posted by Melidramo <a5...@kochira.com>.