Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jim S <ji...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/26 09:05:05 UTC

ofbiz for logistics

We have been evaluating ofbiz for small startup logistics company and would
like to hear feedback from the community if this can be achieved by using
ofbiz. We searched the mailing list except of couple of threads but they
are not much helpful.

Our basic requirements are:
1. Packages from a client arrive in our warehouse.
2. We ship the packages to the customers.
3. Any packages that are not received by the customers are returned to our
warehouse by the person making the delivery.
4. At the end of day a report is send to the client and very next day the
undelivered packages are returned to the client warehouse.

When a package arrive in our warehouse we would like to store information
on the package contents too. I think the incoming packages to our warehouse
can be associated to a purchase order and received in the warehouse and
when we deliver the packages, it can be done by creating a sales order,
making an inventory issuance etc.? Is it a right way to do it?

We are not sure how to receive the packages, I think ofbiz only allow to
receive the goods/products and there has to be product(s) in the system
before product(s) receipt, right? but we don't want to store that much of
information, just the packages and the content of the packages ...

Has anyone done this before and can share their experience?

Thanks in advance !!

Jim

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
OFBiz includes the ability to track shipments, but it doesn't support a
vertical application like the one you describe. It should be fairly easy
to extend the existing shipment functionality to support a logistics
company.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Posted by Jim S <ji...@gmail.com>.
Paul, Thanks for sharing the information.

Jim

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Posted by Paul Mandeltort <pa...@marcospec.com>.
Hey Jim,

I found these diagrams way too late in the process of evaluating ofbiz, they are phenomenally useful for figuring out OFBiz’s terminology for how it treats things like packages vs. shipments vs. products vs. inventory items, etc and how they are related internally.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBTECH/Data+Model+Diagrams

--Paul
----------
Paul Mandeltort  |  Marco Specialties Inc
+1-512-394-8119  |   paul@marcospec.com

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
You do not need to create a purchase order. I recommend you start with
the existing artifacts that map directly to your business, identify
missing bits (gaps), and then build out the missing bits.

What OFBiz has:

1. A good data model for creating and tracking shipments.
2. The data model includes the means to associate a shipment to a
shipping cost.
3. Sales order and invoice functionality.

What is missing:

1. Generate a sales order from a shipment or group of shipments (OOTB,
shipments are generated from a sales order, but you need it to go the
opposite way).
2. A means to include fixed assets (delivery vehicles) in the shipment
route.
3. A means to track/approve package movement along the shipment route.

If your project has provided for some consulting fees, then I would be
happy to assist you with modeling your business.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Jim S wrote
> Okay ... but we just receive the packages and don't pick and pack items of
> our own. We only need to transfer the packages received from a client to
> the customer.

If you don't cater for the picking process, won't the wrong package gets
delivered?
The packing process is meant for repackaging for delivery. That could mean
putting smaller packages into 1 box to easier delivery, or not at all.

Jim S wrote
> Even the shipping logistics like UPS when they ship a package to a
> customer
> they only have information about the shipping party (client), ship to
> party
> (customer), number of packages, type of package, weight, dimension of the
> package. In turn UPS provide a unique shipping digest and tracking number
> for the package so that client/customer can track the shipment.

This is the reason why i mentioned about adding functions for OFBiz to
support serialised products. You need some unique numbers to track each
package, don't you?

Jim S wrote
> Certainly as a logistics we don't need to know the part number of the
> items
> in the package and this information is only internal to the client. I
> think
> the way ofbiz works is when you receive a package or inventory you must
> have the product ID for the item in the system, right? so I guess the
> process you described won't work.

Paul has mentioned that you can have a standard part number called PACKAGE,
that is a product called PACKAGE. You could also sub-categorize the PACKAGE
accordingly to your requirement. No one is asking you to map every package
contents into your own inventory. It is also why I mentioned about adding
functions to edit Product description in the sales order line items.

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Posted by Paul Mandeltort <pa...@marcospec.com>.
Instead of messing around with it, I would just have just one standard part number called PACKAGE or something, if you don’t care about distinguishing between what’s in said boxes - as far as ofbiz and the business is concerned, you’re taking in and reselling just one unique widget (a package).

Ofbiz tracks individual inventory items, but they need a master product to be associated with for the data model to work.  In your eyes though maybe you would have different service/priority levels levels for the packages, and in that case you could have a catalog part number for each service level.  You may also have part numbers for your auxiliary stuff, pallets, tape, wrap, assets (forklifts, trailers, etc for asset tracking purposes).

--Paul
----------

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Jim,

I share the same view as Pierre that you should not be using the purchase
order for it.

Your workflow should be something like this:
1) When packages arrive, you should create a Sales Order for this. In this
case, you need to add function to allow editing the description of each
sales order line item.
2) Approval of Sales Order
3) Receive the inventory via product. OFBiz allows receiving product without
PO. You need to add function for OFBiz to support products with serialized
barcode. During goods receiving, a unique barcode is generated for each
serialised product. You will also need to make changes to ensure the
received goods is reserved to the correct sales order.
4) Packing as usual.

Jim S wrote

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Re: ofbiz for logistics

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jim,

Your starting view point is a bit incorrect. For a Logistics Service
Provider (lsp), in general, the incoming packages should be associated with
a sales order as it is a customer who orders the shipment. And for each
packages you would then have, at least following parties, involved:

   - The company - the internal organisation that is legal responsible for
   the order, invoice and shipment
   - The customer - the external organisation that wants to have the
   package shipped and delivered
   - The person accepting the package

When the lsp is using other lsp's (for e.g. first-mile, last-mile or
hub-to-hub transports), these other lsp's should be regarded as suppliers
(sub-contractor).

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*