Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/24 05:17:41 UTC

Namespace/Packaging

So from what I can tell it's common practice [1] for Java projects to
switch to using the the org.apache namespace.  Scala/kafka doesn't even
follow the reverse FQDM convention, so I don't see a need to change the
source code.  But what about for packaging?  Ought a project depending
on kafka be using:

<groupId>kafka</groupId>
<artifactId>core-kafka</artifactId>

or

<groupId>org.apache.kafka</groupId>
<artifactId>core-kafka</artifactId>

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#repackaging

Re: Namespace/Packaging

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
The only problem I can foresee with keeping the old maven coordinates is that as I walk the maven coordinate space for Kafka there's no way for me to easily see which are the old LinkedIn releases and which are the new ASF releases.  Placing the releases in a new coordinate space would solve that problem.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Namespace/Packaging

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Namespace/Packaging

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
You'd think so but the documentation seems to be pretty clear, it's optional.  How odd.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Namespace/Packaging

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.