Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jo...@comcast.net on 2007/05/31 16:21:59 UTC

Tomcat Hogging CPU

We have been experiencing a problem where Tomcat causes CPU usage to go to 100%.  This slows down our web servers.  Has anyone else ever experienced such a problem?

We average 150 active connections per web server.  What do others average?

How do others configure initial memory pool, maximum memory pool and thread stack size (relative to RAM)?

We have 2.0 GB of RAM and 2 2.60 GHz CPUs on Windows 2003.

Thank you very much.

Re: Tomcat Hogging CPU

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
tomcat and java versions would help a lot  :-)
Leon

Re: Tomcat Hogging CPU

Posted by Omar Eljumaily <om...@omnicode.com>.
What's your definition of a "connection?"  Is it a session?  I've had an
average of about 300 active sessions which amounted to about 15,000
unique visits per day.  This was on a machine with substantially less
power than yours.

RE: Tomcat Hogging CPU

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: john.calderbank@comcast.net
> [mailto:john.calderbank@comcast.net]
> Subject: Tomcat Hogging CPU
>
> We have been experiencing a problem where Tomcat causes CPU
> usage to go to 100%.

Odds are it's one of your webapps, not Tomcat.  Try running a CPU
profiler to see where time is being spent.  You could also take thread
dumps to find out where each thread is at a given point.

 - Chuc

and its attachments from all computers.