Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Doug Steigerwald <ds...@mcclatchyinteractive.com> on 2008/01/21 19:23:57 UTC

DisMax and Search Components

Is there any support for DisMax (or any search request handlers) in search components, or is that
something that still needs to be done?  It seems like it isn't supported at the moment.

We want to be able to use a field collapsing component
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-236), but still be able to use our DisMax handlers.

Right now it's one or the other, and we -need- both.

Thanks.
doug

Re: DisMax and Search Components

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
The QueryComponent supports both lucene queryparser syntax and dismax
query syntax.
The dismax request handler now simply sets defType (the default base
query type) to "dismax"

-Yonik

Posted by Doug Steigerwald <ds...@mcclatchyinteractive.com>.
We don't always want to use the dismax handler in our setup.

Doug

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Doug Steigerwald <ds...@mcclatchyinteractive.com>.
We've found a way to work around it.  In our search components, we're doing something like:

   defType = defType == null ? DisMaxQParserPlugin.NAME : defType;

If you add &defType=dismax to the query string, it'll use the DisMaxQParserPlugin.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out an easy way to access the config for the different
defined disxmax handlers in the config, so on our service side (Rails app), we're going to have a
configuration with all the params we need to pass (qf, pf, fl, etc) and send them based on
parameters we have coming into the service that we use to figure out which dismax handler to use
(uh, yeah, I think that sounds right).

This may not be the best way to do it, but it will work fine for us until we can dedicate more time
to it (we roll out Solr and our search service to QA next week).

Doug

Posted by Charles Hornberger <ch...@gmail.com>.