Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/18 16:46:40 UTC

[Rust] Proposal to use feature branches for changes that depend on unreleased versions of dependencies

With multiple contributors adding new features to sqlparser and arrow-rs
(often breaking changes), it is becoming more challenging to have
corresponding draft DataFusion PRs that pick up the latest version of the
dependency because this pulls in many breaking changes unrelated to the
specific PR.

We have also seen heroic efforts to fix all the breaking changes in one PR
once there is a new release of a dependency available.

I would like to propose that we start using feature branches instead, as
outlined in [1]. We will trial this approach with a `sqlparser-0.21` branch
and see how it goes since we have several PRs that are blocked at the
moment.

Thanks,

Andy.

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow-datafusion/pull/3191

Re: [Rust] Proposal to use feature branches for changes that depend on unreleased versions of dependencies

Posted by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com>.
I think a feature branch sounds like a good idea to me.

In the interim, I will work on making another sqlparser release