Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Bikash Agarwalla <bi...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/02 05:08:18 UTC

more info needed on Issue Management

I am a graduate student studying at Gatech, Atlanta. I am interested in
working on the Issue Management project listed on
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_tasks.html as part of google summer
coding.

I am interested in learning more about the present architecture of "bug
database", the usage  scenarios, and interactions with any other modules
in subversion. I have the following  specific
questions:
  A) what are the differences in architecture for patch manager, release
manager ? What makes
the issue manager different from the above in terms of architecture or
possible algorithms?
  B) How does one determine whether a task is bit-sized task? Is it done
by the developers or automatically through a program on a periodic basis?

I am interested in  learning more about the existing implementation and
what is required as part of this project. I am also interested in
investigating the existing problems and coming up with new designs if
necessary and implementing the enhancements. Please provide me any
additional details that may help me in understanding the problem.

Regards,
-Bikash Agarwalla
Graduate Student, Gatech
Atlanta, GA
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~bikash

Re: more info needed on Issue Management

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@collab.net>.
On Jun 2, 2005, at 12:08 AM, Bikash Agarwalla wrote:

> I am a graduate student studying at Gatech, Atlanta. I am
> interested in working on the Issue Management project listed on
> http://subversion.tigris.org/project_tasks.html as part of google
> summer coding.
>
> I am interested in learning more about the present architecture of
> "bug database", the usage  scenarios, and interactions with any
> other modules in subversion. I have the following  specific
> questions:
>  A) what are the differences in architecture for patch manager,
> release manager ? What makes
> the issue manager different from the above in terms of architecture
> or possible algorithms?
>  B) How does one determine whether a task is bit-sized task? Is it
> done by the developers or automatically through a program on a
> periodic basis?
> I am interested in  learning more about the existing implementation
> and what is required as part of this project. I am also interested
> in investigating the existing problems and coming up with new
> designs if necessary and implementing the enhancements. Please
> provide me any additional details that may help me in understanding
> the problem.

FYI, the only projects that qualify for the Google Summer of Code are
actual coding projects, so Issue Management doesn't qualify.

Sorry,

-Fitz

Re: more info needed on Issue Management

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Thanks for your interest!

The "Issue Manager" role is a person, not a piece of software, but
anyway it's probably not appropriate for the Google Summer of Code
program.  Take a look at the coding tasks elsewhere on that page,
though.

We probably should change the Summer of Code home site to point to a
different Subversion page, one targeted specifically at SoC.  We got
involved in SoC somewhat late, so we pointed at project_tasks.html and
started updating that page, instead of creating a whole new page.  In
retrospect, a separate page might have been better.

Best,
-Karl