Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Hunter Lee <hu...@linkedin.com.INVALID> on 2020/08/13 23:46:10 UTC

Creating a public fork of ZooKeeper

Hi ZooKeeper devs -

I wanted to get an opinion on public, open-source forks of ZooKeeper. I am aware that there are companies maintaining private or public forks of ZooKeeper to deploy & develop their own flavor of ZooKeeper (or ZooKeeper + alpha), like to have a public fork with our own potential use case-specific features or bug fixes, etc.

Is the ZooKeeper PMC generally okay with the idea? I wanted to see if there were any guidelines or advice regarding having a public fork.

The idea is to give us the flexibility to generate artifacts on modified source code (instead of solely relying on official artifacts from Maven Central) and give ourselves an opportunity to contribute back to upstream & collaborate in the future.

Thanks,
Hunter

Re: Creating a public fork of ZooKeeper

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
It is totally fine to release modified versions of Zookeeper.

Just don't call it Zookeeper. You can (and likely should) say that it is
based on (or powered by) Zookeeper, but don't claim it is the same thing if
it isn't.

But are you sure that you wouldn't really rather contribute directly to
Zookeeper itself?

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@apache.org>.
Have you considered a private fork? That might be a better option here as
it provides additional flexibilities on what to develop (e.g. patented or
company specific tech), when and what to upstream and so on. The downside
of private fork I experienced was losing the incentive to upstream which
creates divergence between in house code base and open source, leading to
accumulated tech debt.

A public fork would also work based on the use case description with
caveats already pointed out by others commented in this thread. As long as
the community is united and does not diverge as a result of the fork (think
Presto).

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Hunter,

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.