Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Darko Hojnik <ho...@virtualizing.org> on 2009/11/28 04:37:46 UTC

Starting the Server

Hi

It is possible to ApacheDS with another Wrapper? Maybe with JSVC. Starts
as Root runs as User. To get them on Port 389. And how can i start the
DS without a wrapper? Thinking about java -jar ....

kind regards Darko Hojnik

Re: Starting the Server

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Ersin ER wrote:
> One of the strengths of ApacheDS is its embeddable architecture. It's also
> very modular so that you can even turn it into something really different
> from an LDAP server.
>
> In order to embed it into your own app, you can check:
>
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/41-embedding-apacheds-into-an-application.html

I just updated the page for ApacheDS 1.5.5. It should visible within the
next hour.

> You may also check the startup scripts installed with the distribution
> package to see how it's started with java -jar ...

Another option is to download the zip or tar.gz archive. It contains a
simple start scirpt (apacheds.sh or apacheds.bat) where you could see
how it is started with java -jar.

> 2009/11/28 Darko Hojnik <ho...@virtualizing.org>
>> It is possible to ApacheDS with another Wrapper? Maybe with JSVC. Starts as
>> Root runs as User. To get them on Port 389.

I think the recommended approach is to use port forwarding from 389 to
10389:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-users/200805.mbox/%3Ca32f6b020805220904r1fd4f820s8f026494e785b273@mail.gmail.com%3E

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: Starting the Server

Posted by Ersin ER <er...@gmail.com>.
One of the strengths of ApacheDS is its embeddable architecture. It's also
very modular so that you can even turn it into something really different
from an LDAP server.

In order to embed it into your own app, you can check:

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/41-embedding-apacheds-into-an-application.html

You may also check the startup scripts installed with the distribution
package to see how it's started with java -jar ...

HTH,

--
Ersin ER
http://www.ersiner.net