Posted to mirrors@apache.org by shimi <sh...@shimi.net> on 2003/02/09 01:27:14 UTC

about closer.cgi

I just tried it in that link:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/httpd/binaries/win32/

it said that it doesn't find a mirror in my dns code. although my reverse
dns is the same as the mirror itself, because I connected from the same
domain...

i am talking about the .il domain.

is there a chance that in case that close.cgi didn't resolve successfully
the hostname [i.e. last characters are int] - it'll say so and mention
that if you do know that your host resolves, wait a few moments and
refresh the page so it displays the mirror close to you?

or more than that - just use geoip and solve all the problems at once?

--

  Best regards,
     Shimi

----

   "Outlook is a massive flaming horrid blatant security violation, which
    also happens to be a mail reader."

   "Sure UNIX is user friendly; it's just picky about who its friends are."

Re: Temp. up2date page

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Pieter De Wit wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> When we first started using DATE a web page was created showing all the
> mirrors and there "age". Has someone still got the url for it ?

Curtesy of Henk Penning:
http://www.cs.uu.nl/stats/apache/mstat.html

We hope to adopt that as part of our "official" mirroring stuff, but we
haven't gotten around to it yet.

Joshua.

Re: Temp. up2date page

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Pieter De Wit wrote:

> Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 07:55:13 +0200
> From: Pieter De Wit <pi...@vodacom.co.za>
> To: "mirrors@apache.org" <mi...@apache.org>
> Subject: Temp. up2date page

> When we first started using DATE a web page was created showing all the
> mirrors and there "age". Has someone still got the url for it ?

  http://www.cs.uu.nl/stats/apache/mstat.html

> Pieter De Wit

  Regards.

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University \__/  \
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands. \__/
Telephone: +31-30-2534106, fax: 2513791, NIC-handle: HPP1 _/  \__/  \
News.answers http://www.cs.uu.nl/cgi-bin/faqwais     \__/  \__/  \__/

Temp. up2date page

Posted by Pieter De Wit <pi...@vodacom.co.za>.
Hello Guys,

When we first started using DATE a web page was created showing all the
mirrors and there "age". Has someone still got the url for it ?

Thanks,

Pieter De Wit

Re: about closer.cgi

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Saturday, February 8, 2003 9:16 PM -0500 Joshua Slive
> <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:
>
> > But closer.cgi has not been converted to take advantage of this
> > yet.  It is on the list of things to do (at least in my head).
>
> Use http://www.apache.org/dyn/mirrors/mirrors.cgi instead.  -- justin

Close, but not quite.  There are two problems:

1. mirrors.cgi does not take PATH_INFO and convert it into the appropriate
references.

2. There are lots of references already on our webpages to closer.cgi,
using PATH_INFO.  So we really need to make something compatible at that
URL.  It shouldn't be too difficult, but I haven't had time to look at it.

Joshua.

Re: about closer.cgi

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Re: about closer.cgi

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, shimi wrote:
> or more than that - just use geoip and solve all the problems at once?

geoip is being used for the main mirroring script; see
http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi for example.