Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Becky Phaneuf <PH...@wapa.gov> on 2002/12/09 18:35:06 UTC

OT: how can an intranet & Internet share the same appserver, but remain secure?

Has anyone tried to do this before?

The dilemma:
How would one architect a system that requires an intranet and an
Internet site be able to share the same appserver (EJBs, logic), but
still remain as secure as possible?  It doesn't have to be a
Tomcat/JBoss-specific solution (actually, they've decided on Oracle
9iAS), just some methodologies, suggestions, thoughts, comments...

Thanks!
-Becky

Re: OT: how can an intranet & Internet share the same appserver, but remain secure?

Posted by David Brown <dw...@webitplanet.com>.
Becky Phaneuf writes:

> Has anyone tried to do this before?
>
> The dilemma:
> How would one architect a system that requires an intranet and an
> Internet site be able to share the same appserver (EJBs, logic), but
> still remain as secure as possible?  It doesn't have to be a
> Tomcat/JBoss-specific solution (actually, they've decided on Oracle
> 9iAS), just some methodologies, suggestions, thoughts, comments...
>
> Thanks!
> -Becky

Hello Becky, i thought that was the purpose of the oracle 9i portals.
someone correct me if i'm wrong. the only disadvantage over 9i is oracle is
going to want u to use jdeveloper (a huge resource pig, minimum 1+ ghz dual
and 1gb mem) and the 9i designer stuff severely limiting flexibilty in
design options compare to using jboss/jetty or jboss/tc. the implications of
this statement are in terms of overall design flexibility if u r used to
design using an erd/uml base design methodology or system (toad/qdesigner,
rational, visio etc.) u won't be able to do that using the oracle 9iAS. the
9iAS is a package of the leading techologies: apache and tc servlet server
and the orion j2ee (oc4j.jar) is embedded in the jdeveloper. if u don't
believe me compile and deploy a jdeveloper project w/ a zero length
server.xml (the only xml file the remains in the entire 9i package) and
watch the tomcat exception error message that comes up. ultimately, u will
be using the same technologies but different packaging. if ur company can
afford the 9iAS cpu license and the hardware to run it then make sure u get
the oracle meta-link for online expert help. hope this helps, david.