Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Aaron Powell <me...@aaron-powell.com> on 2011/02/18 10:47:27 UTC

Luke.Net

A while ago I started working on a port of Luke for .NET, and a colleague of mine also gave a bit of a hand.

Neither of us have time to run this project so I'm throwing it open if anyone else wants to work on it you'll find the repo here: http://hg.slace.biz/luke.net/overview

Nothing overly exciting, it's a basic WPF app so far, running Lucene.Net 2.9.2, .NET 4.0, VS2010, etc.

Aaron Powell
Umbraco Core Team Member<http://umbraco.codeplex.com/> | FunnelWeb Team Member<http://funnelweblog.com/>

http://www.aaron-powell.com<http://www.aaron-powell.com/> | http://twitter.com/slace | Skype: aaron.l.powell | MSN: aazzap@hotmail.com<ma...@hotmail.com>

Re: [Lucene.Net] Re: Luke.Net

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-02-21, Troy Howard wrote:

> As a general question about process around accepting software
> contributions, one thing I'm a little confused about: How does
> accepting this contribution differ from a normal contribution?

Not much.

> By that I mean, suppose a developer contributed a significant patch to
> our code, through the normal process or attaching a patch to a JIRA
> ticket. My understanding is that they don't need to sign a CLA or
> other legal paperwork to do that, as long as the committers who
> ultimately apply the patch have those on file.

As long as they have checked the checkbox that says "yes, you may use
it".

> What are the criteria that determine when something needs additional
> legal paperwork (like a grant/contributor CLA/etc)?

This is some sort of gray area.  There are certain cases where the
answer is easy.  If we talk about a few lines of patch then we don't
need a CLA, if it is a big existing project with several contributors we
need CLAs or SGAs.  For anything in between it is a judgement call.

In Luke.NET's case we have at least two people who've worked on the code
base.  Even if Aaron attached the code to a JIRA ticket and checked the
"this is a contribution" checkbox that could not cover the work of his
collegue.

Stefan

[Lucene.Net] Re: Luke.Net

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Stefan,

As a general question about process around accepting software
contributions, one thing I'm a little confused about: How does
accepting this contribution differ from a normal contribution? By that
I mean, suppose a developer contributed a significant patch to our
code, through the normal process or attaching a patch to a JIRA
ticket. My understanding is that they don't need to sign a CLA or
other legal paperwork to do that, as long as the committers who
ultimately apply the patch have those on file.

What are the criteria that determine when something needs additional
legal paperwork (like a grant/contributor CLA/etc)?

Thanks,
Troy

Re: Luke.Net

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Luke.Net

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Pending resolution of the legal issues around ingesting the code into
Lucene.Net, I've created a public fork of Luke.Net on bitbucket as a
staging area to prepare the code for ingestion. Sergey will be working
on it there.

Thanks,
Troy

RE: Luke.Net

Posted by Aaron Powell <me...@aaron-powell.com>.
No, they don't own the code, we know that from our employment contract already ;)

Aaron Powell
Umbraco Core Team Member | FunnelWeb Team Member

Re: Luke.Net

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

RE: Luke.Net

Posted by Aaron Powell <me...@aaron-powell.com>.
Yes, most features aren't implemented, we started but both have other OSS projects that take priority. Luke.Net was more a playground to learn WPF.

Aaron Powell
Umbraco Core Team Member | FunnelWeb Team Member

http://www.aaron-powell.com | http://twitter.com/slace | Skype: aaron.l.powell | MSN: aazzap@hotmail.com

Alternatively we can reimplement it from scratch.
Using Aarron's code as a working prototype.
Also looks like my most wished (and somewhat advanced) features (testing Analizers and Luke plugins) is not implemented.

--
--Regards, Sergey Mirvoda

Re: Luke.Net

Posted by Sergey Mirvoda <se...@mirvoda.com>.

--
--Regards, Sergey Mirvoda

RE: Luke.Net

Re: Luke.Net

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Luke.Net

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Aaron,

Sweet! Hopefully we can repay the favour by making Lucene.Net even
more amazing for Umbraco.

Was this a port from the Luke code or was this a conceptual re-write?

Stephan,

Re: Luke.Net

Posted by Sergey Mirvoda <se...@mirvoda.com>.
I can take it.