Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2004/01/11 18:51:14 UTC

Separating Client Code [was Re: 2.0 Release: What is in the pipeline?]

On 9 Jan 2004, at 11:20, Ingo Brunberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as you propably already have noticed, I have copied the files
> according to Martin's suggestion.
>
> Now Martin, you can go on and prepare a build file.

:-(

damn, too late.

I already have a complete client with working build files and
everything that looks like this:

  /client
         README.txt
         build.properties
         build.xml
         /bin
         /legal
         /lib
             /cmd
             /tasks
         /src
             /cmd
             /filechooser
             /gui
             /lib
             /tasks

in case you people want, i can go ahead and commit it.

Note that this requires a new /lib layout that I was going to propose

/lib
     /core
           commons-collection-2.1.jar
           commons-dbcp.jar
           commons-httpclient-2.0-rc1.jar
           commons-logging.jar
           commons-modeler.jar
           commons-pool.jar
           jdom-b10-dev-20030322.jar
           log4j-1.2.7.jar
           mx4j-jmx.jar
     /endorsed
           xml-apis.jar
     /local
     /optional
           geronimo-jta.jar
           servlet-2.3.jar

[also, I would like to have a version number or a timestamp for each
library, this makes it easier to keep track of versions or checkout
time and to reproduce the build if something fails]

[the build files for the server part and the test part are still under
development but I can do that fast if pushed]

what do you think?

--
Stefano.

Re: Separating Client Code [was Re: 2.0 Release: What is in the pipeline?]

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2004, at 11:20, Ingo Brunberg wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> as you propably already have noticed, I have copied the files
>> according to Martin's suggestion.
>>
>> Now Martin, you can go on and prepare a build file.
>

> :-(
>
> damn, too late.
>
> I already have a complete client with working build files and everything
> that looks like this:
>
>  /client
>         README.txt
>         build.properties
>         build.xml
>         /bin
>         /legal
>         /lib
>             /cmd
>             /tasks
>         /src
>             /cmd
>             /filechooser
>             /gui
>             /lib
>             /tasks
>
> in case you people want, i can go ahead and commit it.

Doesn't this conflict with what Ingo did?

> Note that this requires a new /lib layout that I was going to propose
>
> /lib
>     /core
>           commons-collection-2.1.jar
>           commons-dbcp.jar
>           commons-httpclient-2.0-rc1.jar
>           commons-logging.jar
>           commons-modeler.jar
>           commons-pool.jar
>           jdom-b10-dev-20030322.jar
>           log4j-1.2.7.jar
>           mx4j-jmx.jar
>     /endorsed
>           xml-apis.jar
>     /local
>     /optional
>           geronimo-jta.jar
>           servlet-2.3.jar

The JTA is not optional, as it is needed by Slide's transaction manager
to build. So, I will wait to check in the Geronimo JTA...

What about the servlet-2.3.jar, is it taken from Tomcat?

> [also, I would like to have a version number or a timestamp for each
> library, this makes it easier to keep track of versions or checkout time
> and to reproduce the build if something fails]

Ok with me...

> [the build files for the server part and the test part are still under
> development but I can do that fast if pushed]

I am working on the build file for the server as well to remove all the
targets for deleted code parts. Could you wait until I check my changes in?

Oliver

Re: Separating Client Code [was Re: 2.0 Release: What is in the pipeline?]

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
>>>     /endorsed
>>>           xml-apis.jar

This won't be enough. It will suffice for compiling, but not for run
time: xmlparser and jaxp will be needed as well. I will thus propose to
have them external and configured in build.properties

Oliver

Re: Separating Client Code [was Re: 2.0 Release: What is in the pipeline?]

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2004, at 13:19, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
>
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>>> On 9 Jan 2004, at 11:20, Ingo Brunberg wrote:
>>> Note that this requires a new /lib layout that I was going to propose
>>> /lib
>>>     /core
>>>           commons-collection-2.1.jar
>>>           commons-dbcp.jar
>>>           commons-httpclient-2.0-rc1.jar
>>>           commons-logging.jar
>>>           commons-modeler.jar
>>>           commons-pool.jar
>>>           jdom-b10-dev-20030322.jar
>>>           log4j-1.2.7.jar
>>>           mx4j-jmx.jar
>>>     /endorsed
>>>           xml-apis.jar
>>>     /local
>>>     /optional
>>>           geronimo-jta.jar
>>>           servlet-2.3.jar
>>

>> I am just updating the installation instructions and am wondering if
>> these are all libs required to actually build Slide and if they all
>> are compatible with the Apache license.
>

> yes, they are needed and yes they are compliant (we should put them
> inside CVS so that people don't have to download them... or use Maven,
> which is another option)

OK. I will add all of them to the lib dir and adapt the build script.

>> If so would this mean Tomcat is no longer needed for a full Slide
>> build from sources?
>

> Correct, Tomcat is not needed (and should have never been in the first
> place, if I can say my opinion loud)

It will be needed to build that bundled binary release, though :)

Oliver

Re: Separating Client Code [was Re: 2.0 Release: What is in the pipeline?]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.

> >>I am just updating the installation instructions and am wondering if
> >>these are all libs required to actually build Slide and if they all
> >>are compatible with the Apache license. If so would this mean Tomcat
> >>is no longer needed for a full Slide build from sources?
> > Jars which do not from the ASF:
>
> >   JDOM
>
> true... I guess we could still have it in the lib as the license is
> pretty much BSD like. The same is true for the ANTLR lib which is
> needed for the command line client. I guess we at least have to have
> the license files in the CVS, but maybe also in the jars?
>

> >   mx4j-lmx.jar
>
> Not needed, so no problem...
>
> >   xml-apis
>
> Why not? Couldn't we take it from xerces?
>
> >   servlet-2.3.jar
>
> Why not? This is included with Tomcat, right?

You are right.
  Martin

Re: Separating Client Code [was Re: 2.0 Release: What is in the pipeline?]

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Martin Holz wrote:

>>>From memory without checking
>
> Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de> writes:
>

>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>

>>>On 9 Jan 2004, at 11:20, Ingo Brunberg wrote:
>>
>>>Note that this requires a new /lib layout that I was going to propose
>>>/lib
>>
>>>    /core
>>>          commons-collection-2.1.jar
>

>        LRUMap used by cache
>

>>>          commons-dbcp.jar
>

>        Used by JDBCStore.
>

>>>          commons-httpclient-2.0-rc1.jar
>
>       Used by client/testsuite only
>

>>>          commons-logging.jar
>
>      Maybe httpclient needs it.
>
>>>          commons-modeler.jar
>
>  Probably not needed
>
>>>          commons-pool.jar
>

>      Probably not needed.

Is used by JDBCStore along with the DBCP lib.

>>>          jdom-b10-dev-20030322.jar
>
>     Used by webdav-server
>
>>>          log4j-1.2.7.jar
>
>     Only used by wrapper
>
>>>          mx4j-jmx.jar
>
>     Not needed any more.
>
>>>    /endorsed
>>>          xml-apis.jar
>
>     Probably needed by webdav-server unless you use java 1.4
>
>>>    /optional
>>>          geronimo-jta.jar
>
>     Not optional
>
>>>          servlet-2.3.jar
>

>    Not optional, needed by webdav-server
>

>>I am just updating the installation instructions and am wondering if
>>these are all libs required to actually build Slide and if they all
>>are compatible with the Apache license. If so would this mean Tomcat
>>is no longer needed for a full Slide build from sources?
>

> Jars which do not from the ASF:
>   JDOM

true... I guess we could still have it in the lib as the license is
pretty much BSD like. The same is true for the ANTLR lib which is needed
for the command line client. I guess we at least have to have the
license files in the CVS, but maybe also in the jars?

>   mx4j-lmx.jar

Not needed, so no problem...

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
>From memory without checking

Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de> writes:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > On 9 Jan 2004, at 11:20, Ingo Brunberg wrote:
>
> > Note that this requires a new /lib layout that I was going to propose
> > /lib
>
> >     /core
> >           commons-collection-2.1.jar

       LRUMap used by cache

> >           commons-dbcp.jar

       Used by JDBCStore.

> >           commons-httpclient-2.0-rc1.jar
      Used by client/testsuite only

> >           commons-logging.jar
     Maybe httpclient needs it.
> >           commons-modeler.jar
 Probably not needed
> >           commons-pool.jar

     Probably not needed.

> >           jdom-b10-dev-20030322.jar
    Used by webdav-server
> >           log4j-1.2.7.jar
    Only used by wrapper
> >           mx4j-jmx.jar
    Not needed any more.
> >     /endorsed
> >           xml-apis.jar
    Probably needed by webdav-server unless you use java 1.4
> >     /optional
> >           geronimo-jta.jar
    Not optional

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2004, at 11:20, Ingo Brunberg wrote:
> Note that this requires a new /lib layout that I was going to propose
>
> /lib
>     /core
>           commons-collection-2.1.jar
>           commons-dbcp.jar
>           commons-httpclient-2.0-rc1.jar
>           commons-logging.jar
>           commons-modeler.jar
>           commons-pool.jar
>           jdom-b10-dev-20030322.jar
>           log4j-1.2.7.jar
>           mx4j-jmx.jar
>     /endorsed
>           xml-apis.jar
>     /local
>     /optional
>           geronimo-jta.jar
>           servlet-2.3.jar

I am just updating the installation instructions and am wondering if
these are all libs required to actually build Slide and if they all are
compatible with the Apache license. If so would this mean Tomcat is no

Posted by Martin Dulisch <md...@s-und-n.de>.
In the discussion on friday we came to the conclusion that some client parts
(gui,anttasks) are not used anymore or are not running. It seemed that only
the command line client and the webdav lib are up to date.

What do you say to the client structure that Ingo allready committed? What
about adding version info to the jars in this structure?

We could 'merge' our build scripts. If you send me your version I would
bring it together with my version.

What do you think?
Martin