Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Victor WILLART <vi...@hei.yncrea.fr> on 2019/05/29 09:04:35 UTC

Language Settings Location

Apache Tomcat 8.0 - Windows 64x

 Hi, I just wanted to know if there is a way to figure out where is the settings file which define the language of a web application using Apache Tomcat 8.0>

 Here is a part of a code that makes me think there is a way to change language settings:

 (function () {
     var locale = (window.navigator.languages) ? window.navigator.languages[0] :
         (window.navigator.userLanguage || window.navigator.language); //gets user's preffered language as dictated in settings
     var supportedLocales = ['en-US', 'ko', 'zh-CN', 'it', 'fr', 'es', 'de', 'ja', 'nl', 'pl', 'pt-BR', 'ru', 'sv', 'ar', 'da', 'fi', 'he', 'sl', 'tr'];
     var scriptName = document.getElementById("locale").getAttribute("rel-path");
     var defaultScript = scriptName + 'default.properties';

 And in the same folder I have access to properties files with the translation of the app for these same languages.
 Location of the folder: "C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\webapps\paDowntimeUapp-0.2.2\external-resources\i18n"

 So I was wondering where this settings file could be, is it a JSON file ?

 If you have any hints that could be pretty handy ! If you need more information or think it is not clear enough please tell me.

 Regards

 Victor

Re: Language Settings Location

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 29.05.2019 11:58, Victor WILLART wrote:
> I see, first time trying to understand how a web app  works …

Quite easy.
1) see http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/appdev/deployment.html

2) short guide ("webapps pour les nuls", copyright the Tomcat PMC) :

Under a standard tomcat main installation directory (in your case apparently C:\Program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0), you will find a sub-directory named
"webapps". Under that sub-directory, there may be
- a sub-directory named "ROOT". If that one is present, then anything under it constitutes
what tomcat sees as "the default application/webapp". If it is not there, then there is no
"default webapp".
- other sub-directories under /webapps/ are each one webapp.

Under each of those "webapps/*" subdirectories, you will find the files that make up this
webapp (html pages, jsp pages (html + embedded java code))
- inside each of "webapps/*" sub-directories, you will also find a special sub-directory
named "/WEB-INF/", which contains files which are not accessible directly by the browser,
but are accessible internally by tomcat itself, and by the application jsp pages e.g.
One special such file is "web.xml", which describes, for this application, which URLs
apply to it, and which executable module (*) should handle each URL and a number of other
things besides (for example some initial parameters for the webapp, or security-related
information).
(*) (these executable modules are called "servlets", which is one reason why tomcat is
known as a "servlet container". It may also help the comprehension, to know that .jsp
pages are first compiled (by tomcat) into java servlets, and it is the resulting servlet
which is run when you call the JSP page).

All of the above matches a certain standard, known as "the Java Servlet Specification",
which describes in detail the above architecture and how the various pieces should work
together.
(Each version of tomcat corresponds to a certain version of Java, and of that "Servlet
Specification", see : https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html)

webapps also have to follow the same Specification, otherwise they may not necessarily
work with tomcat.

The standard tomcat distribution comes with one single "default webapp", which is thus
installed under (tomcat-directory)/webapps/ROOT/. (That one thus, we know and can support).

To install and run additional webapps (like yours), you create another subdirectory under
/webapps/, and you copy (or unzip) the webapp files there (in your case, that is thus
(tomcat dir)/webapps/paDowntimeUapp-0.2.2).
You then restart tomcat. Upon restart, tomcat scans everything it finds under /webapps/*,
and if everything is ok within your application, tomcat makes it available to be called
and run.

Note 1 : your application could also come in the form of a single .jar file, which is a
kind of zip containing all the aplication files; in that case, tomcat itself will unzip it
when it starts, and then look at it)

Note 2 : except for the "default webapp" (in /webapps/ROOT) that comes with the tomcat
package, all other webapps come from third-parties, and their code is not normally known
by or available to the tomcat developers. That's why we cannot really help you here.

Note 3 : the above is quite summarised and simplified. There are many more things to say
about webapps and how to install and run them. The ultimate reference is
http://tomcat.apache.org/
There is also a lot of practical information here : https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ

Additional note relative to the information in your previous post : the javascript code
that you showed before, is probably a file that will be retrieved by the browser, and
executed by the browser. To my knowledge, tomcat itself does not contain or run any
javascript code on the server side.

> Thanks anyway and have a nice day !

Same to you.

Posted by Victor WILLART <vi...@hei.yncrea.fr>.