Posted to dev@brpc.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2023/02/15 12:31:17 UTC

Friendly suggestion to make the dev-list readable again

Hi,

while reviewing your projects activity as part of my board duties, I came to notice, that the dev-list is in an almost unusable state.

The vast majority of all emails are auto-generated emails from GitHub.

The way the replication is setup per default makes these emails impossible to follow and display in any email client I tried to read it on. After a lot of persuasion Infra introduced a new feature into the .asf.yml to allow custom templates for these auto-generated emails.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features#Git.asf.yamlfeatures-CustomsubjectlinesforGitHubevents

In the PLC4X Project we used these settings to drastically reformat the subject lines of all GitHub emails.

https://github.com/apache/plc4x/blob/develop/.asf.yaml#L62

With this we can now read the start of the title in typical columnar layouted email clients as well on phones and the clients are able to do correct threading.

Perhaps worth discussing to adopt these or similar changes.

The way the list is currently, I doubt anyone is reading it and it makes it impossible for outsiders to get started … well … and it makes it hard for the board to execute it’s oversight.

As I said in the subject … it’s not an order to change anything, but a friendly suggestion.

Chris

Re: Friendly suggestion to make the dev-list readable again

Posted by Xiaofeng <wa...@gmail.com>.
The notification mails are kept into thread.

So read is OK.

Xiaofeng <wa...@gmail.com> 于 2023年2月17日周五 00:45写道:

Posted by Xiaofeng <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,