Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/25 16:21:36 UTC

Releasing 0.4 as a source jar

Hi,

So far we've released Tika sources as a tarball, but as reported in
TIKA-218, people are having problems with that. Would anyone mind if
we switched to using a source jar (or a zip) as the release archive?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Releasing 0.4 as a source jar

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jukka Zitting schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> So far we've released Tika sources as a tarball, but as reported in
> TIKA-218, people are having problems with that. Would anyone mind if
> we switched to using a source jar (or a zip) as the release archive?

I think it would be nice to have the jar available on some Maven2
server. For example we have it currently
on our own server

http://maven2.wyona.org/org/apache/tika/tika/0.1-incubating/

but I would rather prefer an "official" one.

Cheers

Michael

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2009/6/25 Mattmann, Chris A <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>:
> I wouldn't have a problem with this. One question though -- what's
> the difference between using a source jar (which uses ZIP compression,
> right?), versus using a tar.gz archive?

(yes, a jar is essentially just a zip file)

A jar archive (just like a zip) is a bit larger than the corresponding
gzipped tarball. However, since everyone who wants to build the
release already has a JDK, they are guaranteed to be able to unpack
the archive without problems.

The main problem with tarballs is that the long pathnames force the
use of the gnu tar extensions which aren't universally supported (at
least some old Solaris platforms and WinZip versions have trouble with
those). This causes problems like the ones reported in TIKA-218.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Jukka,

I wouldn't have a problem with this. One question though -- what's the difference between using a source jar (which uses ZIP compression, right?), versus using a tar.gz archive?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris