Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org> on 2008/02/25 16:54:26 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_proxy delay detecting application restart

Using HTTPD 2.0.x on OS X and Linux, with mod_proxy setup as a
frontend for a dozen of Java applications (Jetty server instances more
specifically) running on the same machine as HTTPD. mod_proxy config
for each Java instance looks similar to this:

    ProxyPass /myapp/ http://localhost:8105/myapp/
    ProxyPassReverse /myapp/ http://localhost:8105/myapp/

Everything works fine except when restarting Java instances. After a
restart I keep getting "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable" responses
for up to 20-30 seconds, until finally mod_proxy detects a live
instance. I understand that mod_proxy caches a previous down status of
an instance, and does not refresh for some time. Is there a way to
configure a smaller refresh interval or avoid instance status caching
all together?

Thanks,
Andrus Adamchik

Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy delay detecting application restart

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.
Hi Vincent,

Since I was targeting Apache 2.0.*, I didn't even check the 2.2 docs,
so I missed the "retry" parameter. I tried your advice on OS X Leopard
that actually has HTTPD 2.2, and it worked nicely. Now need to figure
out how to upgrade my other servers...

Thanks
Andrus

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.