Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Sherrod <to...@unx.sas.com> on 2002/09/26 19:40:22 UTC

upgrade into a jsp:include problem

Just started putting some applications in tomcat 4.0.4.  Things are
working nicely.  I see the notice about upgrading, and since things are
just jsp, nothing complicated, I decide to give 4.1.12 a try.
Same configs, same machine, same applications, etc...
jsp:include calls stop working across the board.  No errors in the
logs.  I see the code in the .java file but nothing shows up.
Is there a config setting to make them work?  No symlinks involved here.
I did a bit of archive digging before posting.

As an aside, I back out 4.1.12 back down to 4.0.5, trying to stay current.
It starts then stops with a null pointer exception.

Now I'm back to 4.0.4 and the developers are back on course.

Thanks.

Tom Sherrod

Re: upgrade into a jsp:include problem

Posted by Brad Plies <pl...@yahoo.com>.
The lack of existing out.write() calls suggests to me
that the JspRuntimeLibrary.include() is supposed to do
it.  Probably why 'out' is given to .include() as an
argument.

But why is a runtime library needed if the content is
static?  Should be compiled once and that's it.

API of the JspRuntimeLibrary is
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jasper/docs/api/index.html

Author states:
"However, I'm not sure if that works so well right
now. It got forgotten at some point. -akv "

Posted by Tom Sherrod <to...@unx.sas.com>.
Don't stop now...I think we're onto something that I hope others can
benefit from.

I may have misspoke about the java file looking correct.
Here's what I see:
      JspRuntimeLibrary.include(request, response, _welcomeIntro, out,
true);

No out.blahblah...or nothing around it even similiar to what is in the
working .java file.
Also no comments around the information.
>From your note, the include should be out.blah just like all other html.
So, now back to why .12 didn't do it but 4.0.3 did?
(actually a clarification, 4.0.3 is working.)

Thanks.

Tom Sherrod    tosher@sas.com

Re: upgrade into a jsp:include problem

Posted by Brad Plies <pl...@yahoo.com>.