Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kim Hurlbutt <ki...@yahoo.com> on 2007/11/12 20:27:48 UTC

help

Wondering if you can point me in the right direction on how to make our spam scores lower.  How can I get information on how to make edits to our pages to lower our scores?  We currently use Kintera to send our email newsletters.  Please help!!   Thanks

  An example of our spam score:

  Your spam score is: 2.9 points

Score Details:
 pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
 0.2 HTML_FONT_FACE_ODD     BODY: HTML font face is not a commonly used
 face
 0.3 HTML_FONT_BIG          BODY: HTML has a big font
 0.6 HTML_TABLE_THICK_BORD  BODY: HTML table has thick border
 0.7 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
 0.7 HTML_50_60             BODY: Message is 50% to 60% HTML
 0.4 FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD      'From' yahoo.com does not match 'Received'
 headers

  Kim Hurlbutt
      Development
   Proctor Academy
      603.735.6218
www.proctoracademy.org

Re: help

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AvoidingFpsForSenders

>  We currently use Kintera to send our email newsletters.  Please
> help!!   Thanks
>
>An example of our spam score:
>
>Your spam score is: 2.9 points

That's not a high score.  Your message mentions which rules were hit
and contains a description of the rules.  Most of them are because
your newsletter is in HTML instead of plain text.

Regards,
-sm

Re: help

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.
As a heads up, more people will read your message if you make your
Subject line more insightful.

Ironically, I contacted Kintera last Spring pointing out that I wasn't
getting messages from one of their customers because they were sending
malformed messages that pegged the spam-o-meter (in particular, they
were sending broken Date: lines).

Didn't hear back.

Apparently, they've never heard of Spam, or have no interest in
differentiating themselves from less-legitimate content.

Perhaps it's a marketing strategy to sell you more products and services
to complement the ineffectual ones you're now using.  ;-)

-Philip

Re: help

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 12.11.07 11:27, Kim Hurlbutt wrote: Wondering if you can point me in the
> right direction on how to make our spam scores lower.  How can I get
> information on how to make edits to our pages to lower our scores?  We
> currently use Kintera to send our email newsletters.  Please help!!

> Score Details:
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ----------------------
>  --------------------------------------------------
>  0.2 HTML_FONT_FACE_ODD     BODY: HTML font face is not a commonly used
>  face
>  0.2 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>  0.3 HTML_FONT_BIG          BODY: HTML has a big font
>  0.6 HTML_TABLE_THICK_BORD  BODY: HTML table has thick border
>  0.7 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
>  0.7 HTML_50_60             BODY: Message is 50% to 60% HTML
>  0.4 FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD      'From' yahoo.com does not match 'Received'
>  headers

get normal, correct SW for those newsletters. Nearly all those flags mean
there's something sick in Kintera.
- Have you got anything without Spam in it?
- Well, there's Spam egg sausage and Spam, that's not got much Spam in it.

Re: help

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Kim Hurlbutt wrote:

> Wondering if you can point me in the right direction on how to
> make our spam scores lower.  How can I get information on how to
> make edits to our pages to lower our scores?  We currently use
> Kintera to send our email newsletters.  Please help!!  Thanks
>
>   An example of our spam score:
>  0.7 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts

Right there is an easy one. Accept that there are people out there who
don't like or don't want HTML emails, be considerate of them, and
include a plain-text alternative version of your newsletter.

  Liberals love sex ed because it teaches kids to be safe around their
  sex organs. Conservatives love gun education because it teaches kids
  to be safe around guns. However, both believe that the other's
  education goals lead to dangers too terrible to contemplate.
 194 days until the Mars Phoenix lander arrives at Mars