Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> on 2014/05/02 19:03:16 UTC

Re: [Vote] Release Apache Stratos 4.0.0 - Incubating RC1

Hi Suresh,

It's a great pleasure! Thanks for all the points!

> * Just so we are clear, its not advisable to have a cut of time for
> releases at the end of 72 hours. For some decisions, 72 hours is enough for
> every one to respond or silence can be assumed as consensus. But releases
> we rather wait for a minimum of 72 hours with a goal to achieve a quorum.
> For major releases like the 4.0.0, its better majority of the PPMC (PMC)
> spends time verifying. For instance 4.0.1 will be a bug fix release so not
> much change in terms of dependencies and packaging so we can use less
> diligence and focus on testing bugs.

Completely agree, even the RC1 voting was kept for nearly 5 days. May be we
could extend this further if required.

> * The better job we do for releases, it saves times and confidence (both
> legally and technically) for down steam users, so busy (P)PMC members who
> gasp for time, it will be nice to put release verification as the minimum
> contribution to the project.
>
> * Bundled dependency jars into a single jar is ok, but better to be clear
> in the associated README file.

Definitely, I will update the README file regarding this.

> * It will be good to check on the maven jars. I quickly looked at one -
> apache-stratos-cartridge-agent-4.0.0-incubating.jar at could not figure out
> if it has anything significant in it. The DEPENDENCY file within the
> META-INF of this jar has list but could not find anything in the jar itself.

I'm sorry I didn't get this. Was there anything missing in cartridge agent
jar?

> * The KEYS file is not advised to go onto mirrors (basically avoid
> co-residing with the artifacts). The best place will be -
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/startos/KEYS
>
> Thanks, I will move the KEYS file. One question regarding the following
two locations:

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/stratos/releases/
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/stratos/

I thought we keep RC packs in [1] and move them to [2] once voting is
completed. Can you please add some thoughts on this?

Thanks

--
Imesh Gunaratne

Technical Lead, WSO2