Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com> on 2000/07/29 11:35:38 UTC

Resolved? - RE: HELP: Tomcat maxing out, not serving pages

Tomcat 3.2b2.  First read my previous message, included below.  The section
in my <VirtualHost> is just a cut/paste job from the generated
tomcat-apache.conf, with DocumentRoot and some logging added.

So, it appears as though this:

<Host name="hostname" >
	<Context path="" docBase="/users/myApp/docBase" reloadable="true"
debug="9"/>
</Host>

...works, whereas this does not:

<Host name="hostname" >
	<Context path="/myApp" docBase="/users/myApp/docBase" reloadable="true"
debug="9"/>
</Host>

With the latter configuration, the jasper log shows nothing.  I wonder if
the "%2F" (see original message) is funking things up?  I don't know what
that's supposed to be in the *nix filesystem world.  OH, the '/'?  If it
were some compilation problem, I figure Jasper would crap out at some point,
but it never even gets started (re: doesn't show "JspEngine --> /myJsp.jsp"
line).

This is strange, because the example provided in the server.xml is:

<Host name="127.0.0.1" >
	<Context path="" docBase="webapps/examples" />
	<Context path="/examples" docBase="webapps/ROOT" />
</Host>

...which I remember seeing working.  Then again, that was with my previous
build from sometime in July.

Thoughts anyone?

- r

p.s. Still dunno why says the work directory name should have a suffix of
"8080" when I'm on 80.

RE: Documentation assistance

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Forgive the reply to myself =) but if I don't get anything back, I'll assume
the User's Guide?

- r

Documentation assistance

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Hi everybody,

One thing people on the user list are always clamouring for is "better
documentation".  I checked through all of the status and readmes in the CVS
rep for TC, and documentation wasn't on any of them =)  I could have missed
it perhaps...  That being the case, and that I have a month or so between
semesters, I'd very much like to contribute on that front.  Is there
anything that jumps to mind?  Where would my efforts be most beneficial to
the project?

As far as professional writing goes, the only thing I've had published is an
article for Windows NT Magazine.

http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AuthorID=83

Good gawd that description is old!  They pay you like 0.25 a word, which was
pretty cool for being a broke university student.  Wait, I still am a broke
university student.  I'll have to do something about that eventually ;)

- r

RE: Resolved? - RE: HELP: Tomcat maxing out, not serving pages

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Hi Kim,

> Sorry, this was my mistake!
> path="...." should start with initial slash('/')

I understand, but I believe that's option for the 'root' context.  Actually,
I believe Tomcat parses to find the *mount point* and then forwards you to
the specified context. (re: ApJServMount /mount /context).

Also, the one w/out the '/' is the one that *worked* =)

Posted by Pilho Kim <ph...@math.soongsil.ac.kr>.

Posted by Pilho Kim <ph...@math.soongsil.ac.kr>.
Hi, Rob

Your mistake is like this:

<Context path="...."

Here "...." must have no slash('/').

For the case of a url http://{hostname:port}/{context}/.....,
Tomcat parses the url string and tries to find
the context, named as {context}.
{context} is the string between first two slashes after {hostname:port}.
And so {context} must have no slash.

On your environment,
  port 80 is used by Apache Web Server,
  port 8080 is used by Tomcat,