Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2020/08/12 10:32:16 UTC

Apache NetBeans 12.1-beta2 available for testing

Dear Apache NetBeans community,

The second (and hopefully final) beta build for Apache NetBeans 12.1
is available.  Apologies for the delay - needed to wait for a revised
nb-javac update, and a few other things.  All being well, the release
vote will commence one week from today.

A full list of changes between beta1 and beta2 is at
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2276  A key change to test
with since beta1 is that nb-javac when installed should now fully
support Java 14.

As per the release schedule, NB 12.1 is a non-LTS release, and will
not have a full NetCAT process.  However, feedback and testing from
those on the dev@ and netcat@ lists would still be appreciated,
particularly around new features.  Please file issues in JIRA as
necessary, with the affects and fix versions set to 12.1. Please take
note of the Bug Priority Guidelines (link below), in particular so
that we can address critical and blocking issues if they arise.

**If making PRs to fix issues, please add the 12.1 milestone and add
me as one of the reviewers**

See the artefacts here :

https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release121/5/artifact/dist/

The binary you most likely need is :

https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release121/5/artifact/dist/netbeans/netbeans-12.1-beta2-bin.zip

As this is hopefully our final beta, testing a source build against
release vote criteria would also be very useful :

https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release121/5/artifact/dist/netbeans/netbeans-12.1-beta2-source.zip

The SHA512 sums if you would like to check them are provided there as
well as here :

21a8f193f5c0f977a5ee6091cda267f7b9739cb2259daa074434512a4321d49328e6bfd941f19e85ba34a24e35e42b31f002a1a3a8d18a06f57dc46855091eb4
 ./netbeans-12.1-beta2-bin.zip
de64aef15209c3bb42b1a9cffe7996c6c40d04d9d5cc7f32d3d85f75a7f984260e8889d09204b12c6a4f7cad4b3f84dae0ed09bf1e43c5a136ed72982ee1ff41
 ./netbeans-12.1-beta2-source.zip

**Note that our build server has moved. If there are any issues, the
old build server also has a build of beta2. Be aware that SHA sums
will be different - check against files there.**

https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/NetBeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release121/4/artifact/dist/netbeans/

GitHub PRs integrated since 12.0 :
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/milestone/6?closed=1
Release schedule :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Release+Schedule
Bug Priority Guidelines :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Bug+Priority+Guidelines
NB 12.1 major changes :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+12.1

Thanks all and best wishes,

Neil
Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 12.1

Re: Apache NetBeans 12.1-beta2 available for testing

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Excellent, thank you! Will try it out especially nb-javac with Maven.

Gj

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
Thank you, Neil !

Will start to test it again.

Kai

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I agree with this.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I agree with this.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020, 07:37 Geertjan Wielenga, <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> When I install nb-javac in 12.1 Beta 2, its version is 2.0.
>
> I guess it should be a different version -- which one and how do I get hold
> of it to try it.

No, that's fine, just install as normal. If you look in the license
combobox, you'll see the other modules that make up nb-javac have a higher
version. Confused me at first two, because those versions should probably
be in sync?! But it should work fine.

That license combobox is also on my list of annoyances - does hide things a
bit too well!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Apache NetBeans 12.1-beta2 available for testing

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I'd like to try out 12.1 Beta 2 together with the latest nb-javac.

When I install nb-javac in 12.1 Beta 2, its version is 2.0.

I guess it should be a different version -- which one and how do I get hold
of it to try it.

I'll then also add that info here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+12.1

Gj

Posted by Leonardo Sebastian De Seta <ld...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jack W." <so...@gmail.com>.
Is this buglet something I should report as an issue? (12.1 beta 2 but this
has consistently been the behavior).

In PHP:
 public function x ($y) {
        return $this->thing->x($y);
    }

   - highlight x in the declaration and "Find usages" and it operates as
   expected.
   - highlight x in the body of the function and "Find usages" and NB pops
   a dialog with the confusing message "Can't refactor here".

---
Jack Woehr               # Woehr's Asymptote: The ratio of the time spent
Box 51, Golden CO 80402  # administering productivity software over the time
http://www.softwoehr.com # saved by said software eventually approximates 1.

Posted by "Jack W." <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 11:32, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> Please file issues in JIRA as
> necessary, with the affects and fix versions set to 12.1. Please take
> note of the Bug Priority Guidelines (link below), in particular so
> that we can address critical and blocking issues if they arise.

Incidentally, help with JIRA tickets against 12.1 (and critical+
against 12.0) and checking reproducibility with beta would be
appreciated.

eg. anyone else experienced
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-4623 ?

Thanks,

Neil

Re: Apache NetBeans 12.1-beta2 available for testing

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
Thank you, Neil !

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.