Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dário Luís Coneglian Oliveros <ol...@cpqd.com.br> on 2005/12/14 12:26:35 UTC

[m2] Standard directory layout for generated sources

Hi there,

When looking at the standard layout directory, I thought it would be great to have a common directory for the generated sources also since Maven already has a generate-sources lifecycle phase. This way we don´t need to tell the compiler where to find the generated sources.
Please let me know any comments on this.

Thanks,
Dário

Re: [m2] Standard directory layout for generated sources

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 12/14/05, Dário Luís Coneglian Oliveros <ol...@cpqd.com.br> wrote:

> When looking at the standard layout directory, I thought it would be great to have a common directory for the generated sources also since Maven already has a generate-sources lifecycle phase. This way we don´t need to tell the compiler where to find the generated sources.

I disagree. First of all, a single directory woudn't be sufficient:
For example, you generate not only sources, but also resources. Both
may be generated for tests as well. So we end up with four. Besides,
it is not unusual to process one generators files with another
generator. In other words, the formers output directory becomes the
latters input directory.

But, what makes me wonder the most: Why do you need to tell the
compiler that there is a new source directory? This is the plugins
task and it should do so automatically?

Jochen

--
Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the
boat. (Mark Twain)