Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com> on 2014/06/21 21:24:46 UTC

GigaOm Structure Panel on Open Cloud

It’s interesting to see the debate between Eucalyptus, Nebula and Citrix from last week’s Structure about open source clouds.

GigaOm - It’s time to stop the open-on-open violence in cloud computing

http://clds.co/1ieE80f

Tidbits from the panel(video at bottom of the article):

9:30 - Chris Kemp, Nebula/OpenStack - "OpenStack is a toolkit not a product."
13:00 - Barb Darrow, GigaOm "In terms of CIOs OpenStack has won the war"
13:30 - Marten Mickos/Eucalyptus,”If you have too much money you buy VMware, if you have too much time you use OpenStack”

The thing that is most troubling is the Barb Darrow comment…I hope she’s wrong.

Regards, Mark

Re: GigaOm Structure Panel on Open Cloud

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On 06/24/2014 09:56 AM, Giles Sirett wrote:
> However, it may be slightly non-inclusive (for those countries that
> Britain didn’t invade in the 19^th Century)

So, like... The U.S.? France? I think you're good on most of the rest of
the globe. ;-)

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

RE: GigaOm Structure Panel on Open Cloud

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Much better idea John - I stand half a chance of not embarrassing myself  then.

However, it may be slightly non-inclusive (for those countries that Britain didn't invade in the 19th Century)

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>

"Welcome everybody to the first annual Apache CloudStack Cricket Tournament" has such a great ring to it

On Jun 24, 2014, at 3:38 AM, Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>> wrote:

I know where you're coming from (but golf is a silly idea  -stupid & frustrating game :-) )

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: GigaOm Structure Panel on Open Cloud

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Posted by Harm Boertien <HB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Sounds like a great idea.

BTW with regards to the piece on gigaom, there is also a point in we should not fight each other within OpenSource.
We should learn and benefit from each other. Yes this sounds very hippie, but there's a lot of truth in there.

In the end it doesn't really matter what IaaS layer your running, but it better be an OpenSource IaaS layer.
There is much benefit in this approach as we keep on fighting closed source (Azure/Amazon/Google/VMWare) will "win".

So let's have some OpenStack speakers in Budapest in how to run a large project successfully.
Or how should we market CloudStack.

We are OpenSource guys. There is really no winning in this game.

Of course there are business interests, like there are business interests within my company. In the end both will benefit if CloudStack and OpenStack work well together.
Think about that.

PS. And I like the idea of organizing a golf day, and I will discuss it here, to see if we can do it nearby.
But we need indeed that list of people whom we can invite. And it will be on OpenSource, not about CloudStack solely. That is IMHO to small of a subject.

Harm

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.
Giles,

The downside is that usually those conferences where attendees wear suits also require a sponsorship to get the speaking spot. I donate the open source spots usually because I can afford them and would do more of the business ones but frankly the whole permission process is frustrating enough for the OSS conferences let alone the more tedious process often required around conferences like Interop.

You also hit on the real problem for us to make traction it would require a marketing plan and enough people committed to running the marketing plan full time. Sally’s done a great job on pulling together the tear sheet but we need a proper messaging session and the a full on marketing program that includes analyst relations, press relations and speaking bureau.

As someone who’s chaired a few conferences I can tell you one of the considerations is the audience appetite for the topic. Without media awareness the conference organizers aren’t as inclined to add a spot for CloudStack.  Then even if they do have the appetite they will still want to shake down someone for a sponsorship have you seen the Apache CloudStack treasury;) Even then you won’t get a premium spot so you may end up speaking to 30 people, not a lot of leverage traveling to a conference for a few days to speak to that small a crowd. Then the follow-up most companies that are successful scan names and follow-up with newsletters and such. We struggle keeping a simple list server running reliably some months.

My point being their needs to be an end-to-end marketing program for CloudStack otherwise your speaking idea or Harm’s golf junkets or whatever the effort will probably not be effective.

Mark