Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jeff Varszegi <jv...@yahoo.com> on 2002/11/17 07:08:44 UTC

[lang] Some utility classes for generating IDs

I use these to generate IDs for EJBs and in a couple of other ways.  Does anyone think they could
be usefully included in a project?  I did look around to see if there was something already in
Commons for this, but I didn't see anything.

The IDGenerator interface provides one method, generateID().  A few implementations are provided,
including one that generates 32-character UUIDs.  A lookup class is also provided for acquiring an
IDGenerator by name.

Jeff

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Re: [lang][SUBMIT] Some utility classes for generating IDs

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Nah, there's actually a jakarta-commons-sandbox project called Patterns.
Stephen used it to do some research work, most of which has ended up in
the Lang tree now:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/pattern/src/java/org/apache/commons/pattern/identifier/

I liked the XML parser, was fun to make, but didn't seem any point in
competing with all the others, NanoXml etc. Weirdly, this is the second
time it's been mentioned this week as a port I made to LPC[Pike-like
language] looks like it might get used somewhere :)

Hen

Posted by Jeff Varszegi <jv...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Jeff Varszegi <jv...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry I forgot to put the SUBMIT tag on the preceding email.  -Jeff