Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sandeep Kuttal <sk...@cse.unl.edu> on 2010/02/25 20:53:03 UTC

Number of directories which can be stored in SVN

Hi,

I am a PhD student at UNL, NE. For my project I am planning to use SVN
but to check the scalability of the project i need to find out how many
files and directories can be stored in subversion.

Kindly do reply back.

Thanks
Sandeep

Re: Number of directories which can be stored in SVN

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
As far as I know, there is no limit. I've had sites with tens of
thousands of folders and files with no problems. There is a 2Gb file
limit on some systems, and you might run into that somehow.

Since Subversion is free, it really shouldn't take too long to concoct
a test to work out a limit if there is one. A simple Bash shell script
could do the job. I'm going to have to try it out.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Number of directories which can be stored in SVN

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
There are a number of rather big repositories out there, e.g.

svn.apapche.org - nearing 1 million revisions in the asf repo... and there's
plenty of files in that one too

You'll probably run out of disk space before you hitany arch limits in
subversion

-Stephen

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.