Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by novice user <pa...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/06 07:25:10 UTC

[HELP] JobTracker is not starting up suddenly [Remote exception ]

I have been using hadoop for my work and it was working well till yesterday.
Suddenly since yesterday, I started getting below  error when I ran
start-all.sh. Jobtracker is failing to start with the below error. Can some
one please help on this.

2007-08-06 10:26:32,365 WARN org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker: Error
starting tracker: org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException:
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.SafeModeException: Cannot delete
/tmp/hadoop-user/mapred/system. Name node is in safe mode.
Safe mode will be turned off automatically.
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.FSNamesystem.delete(FSNamesystem.java:1034)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.NameNode.delete(NameNode.java:404)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:573)

        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.$Proxy0.delete(Unknown Source)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invokeMethod(RetryInvocationHandler.java:82)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invoke(RetryInvocationHandler.java:59)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.$Proxy0.delete(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient.delete(DFSClient.java:355)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DistributedFileSystem$RawDistributedFileSystem.delete(DistributedFileSystem.java:166)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.ChecksumFileSystem.delete(ChecksumFileSystem.java:504)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.<init>(JobTracker.java:625)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:106)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.main(JobTracker.java:1732)

Thanks in advance,

Re: [HELP] JobTracker is not starting up suddenly [Remote exception ]

Posted by novice user <pa...@gmail.com>.
No. I don't think so as I have waited for more than 15 mins.
By the way, the problem is solved when I removed /tmp/hadoop-user directory
and restarted whole process(formatting namenode, run start-all.sh) again.

Thanks

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>.