Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net> on 2008/07/02 21:06:00 UTC

Re: [S2] adding serialVersionUID to actions

Gabriel Belingueres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any value in adding the serialVersionUID to all our actions?
> My idea is just to add a @SupressWarning("serial") to each action.
>
> AFAIK, the actions are newly created in each request and are never put
> into session or application scope (by Struts itself at least).
>
> Any ideas of why the ActionSupport class implements java.io.Serializable?

You're right, S2 actions are generally expected to be request scoped.
I'm not sure why ActionSupport implements Serializable; it's probably a
legacy thing. As long as you stick to using request-scoped actions,
there probably isn't any value in generating serialVersionUIDs or them.

L.