Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1996/10/17 23:55:27 UTC

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Server Side Push blocking bug" on Linux (fwd)

> ghn@qtmsys.com said:
> > From nobody@hyperreal.com  Thu Oct 17 17:36:37 1996
> > From: ghn@qtmsys.com
> > To: awm@qosina.com
> > Date: Thu Oct 17 14:38:06 1996
> > Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "Server Side Push blocking bug" on Linux
> >
> > Submitter: ghn@qtmsys.com
> > Operating system: Linux, version:
> > Version of Apache Used: 1.1.1
> > Extra Modules used: Cache
> > URL exhibiting problem:
> >
> > Symptoms:
> > --
> > It looks to me like Apache still has a bug that
> > has been a known bug in NCSA for a long time,
> > wherein if a server-side-push document stops
> > sending data at any point, the pipeline switches
> > into a blocked transfer mode with 8k blocks.
> >
> > The net result is that if an application sends
> > a stream of small images with pauses between them,
> > the client sees a long pause followed by a burst
> > of images.
> >
> > I was hoping you could tell me if this was a known
> > Apache bug, or perhaps one that has been fixed
> > since 1.1.1, since I did not see it mentioned on
> > your list of known bugs.
> >
> > If it is a known but as-yet-unfixed bug, please
> > let me know, because I would be happy to work on
> > tracking it down.

This is not exactly a bug, though it is well known. The tacky solution is to
use NPH. The cool solution is to use a header returned from the CGI to turn off
buffering. I keep meaning to implement this. Perhaps I'll get round to it one
day. Someone'll have to do it for Apache 2.0, for sure.

Cheers,

Ben.