Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by ka...@nokia.com on 2010/08/19 22:27:00 UTC

Name change official

Apparently we are green to go ahead with the proposed name change.

I'd like to propose at this time that no actual source code or packages be changed.  I suggest instead that the name change occur to the site materials, documentation, and collateral materials exclusively.  Any thoughts?

Karl

Re: Name change official

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@lucidimagination.com>.
"Where do people think we are in terms of putting out something like a 0.1?"

Now that we have QuickStart, I think the main obstacle I see is getting a
nightly build that produces a zip that people can download, unzip, and run.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Jettro Coenradie <je...@gridshore.nl>.
Personally I would go for it all the way. You will drag the weird package
name and some class names along for all the years and releases to come.

- Jettro Coenradie

--
Jettro Coenradie
http://www.gridshore.nl

RE: Name change official

Posted by ka...@nokia.com.

Re: Name change official

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Aug 19, 2010, at 7:44 PM, <ka...@nokia.com> <ka...@nokia.com> wrote:

> Changing all the java class and package names would, at this point, seriously inconvenience our broader community.  That's why I proposed it the way I did.  Unless you can think of a compelling reason to do it that way, I think we're stuck with those as-is.

Since we haven't done a release, I think we should do it before the release.  People on trunk, pre-release are subject to change.  Besides, w/ a modern IDE, something like this is a trivial find and replace.

Speaking of releases...  Where do people think we are in terms of putting out something like a 0.1?

-Grant

RE: Name change official

Posted by ka...@nokia.com.
Changing all the java class and package names would, at this point, seriously inconvenience our broader community.  That's why I proposed it the way I did.  Unless you can think of a compelling reason to do it that way, I think we're stuck with those as-is.

Karl

I'd opt for a "clean break" and change everything, but certainly in any
staged order that seems appropriate.

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: Name change official

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@lucidimagination.com>.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@lucidimagination.com>.
I had been kind of wondering how ACF or even LCF could be allowed by Apache
to have a generic name, rather than some cute/clever name like... everything
else in Apache land, as well as the rules for having "Apache" being part of
the name. Lucene is officially "Apache Lucene", but we all know it as
"Lucene". Ditto for Apache Solr, Apache Maven, et al. So, even if the
official name were "Apache Connectors Framework", the common name would be
"Connectors Framework" (which is kind of generic.) Of course, the product is
designed to be... generic.

So, does ACF/LCF need a "real" name rather than a descriptive name?

How about "Yukon", as in Universal Connectors, with a "K" in place of the
"C" in honor of Karl's work?

Would that fly past the judges?

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: Name change official