Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2006/07/23 17:55:59 UTC

POP3 and other handlers ...

> I don't know if "RoamingUsers" is better or worst than "PopBeforeSmtp":
> what do ther thinks?

There are many ways to handle RoamingUsers.  POPBeforeSMTP is at least descriptive.

> 2) Before 3.0 I would like to find a better solution than hardcoding the
> check in PassCmdHandler (maybe support the new fastfail in pop3, and add
> support for filters after command execution for this).

Well, I agree and disagree.  I disagree in that these are not really filters; they are command handlers.  In some cases, the commands filter, but they are structurally indentical.  And I agree that we should rebuild the protocol handlers in the same manner as we rebuilt SMTP (and which IMAP, conceptually, used earlier), using pluggable command handlers.

> 3) We start having a little mess with authorized users, relaying
> allowed, authorized networks and how handlers manage this. Let's
> keep in mind this and maybe we'll find a clean solution to this.

I don't disagree.  What if anything do you have in mind at this time?

	--- Noel

Re: POP3 and other handlers ...

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> 3) We start having a little mess with authorized users, relaying
>> allowed, authorized networks and how handlers manage this. Let's
>> keep in mind this and maybe we'll find a clean solution to this.
>
> I don't disagree.  What if anything do you have in mind at this time?

Nothing in mind. I just wanted to raise the problem.

I have been too busy with other issues and I really have not yet found
the time to work on the fastfail/handlerchain stuff.

Stefano