Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Christophe Bisciglia <ch...@cloudera.com> on 2009/03/17 01:42:27 UTC

Cloudera's Distribution for Hadoop

Hey Hadoop Fans,

It's been a crazy week here at Cloudera. Today we launched our
Distribution for Hadoop. This is targeted at Hadoop users who want to
use the most recent stable version of Hadoop and take advantage of
standard packaging and deployment tools like RPMs and YUM. We also
provide an AJAXy wizard to help you configure your cluster. We'll
include more options for deployment (.debs, solaris packages, etc) as
you ask for them, so please don't be shy - hit up our community
support page.

The high level features for our first release include:
* RPM Deployment and a public YUM repository
* Client RPMs for Hive and Pig (what else should we include? Tell us
on community support! Link below.)
* Standard Linux Service Management
* Local Documentation and Man Pages

We'll be going over some details and walk through deployment at the
Bay Area Hadoop Users Group at Y! this Wednesday, but if you're from
out of town, or want a head start, here are some links:
* Blog post announcement:
http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2009/03/15/cloudera-distribution-for-hadoop/
* Cloudera's Distribution for Hadoop Home Page: http://www.cloudera.com/hadoop
* Community Support: http://www.cloudera.com/community-support

Also, we turning into twitter junkies, so if you've been infected too,
follow @cloudera for updates.

See you Wednesday!

Cheers,
Christophe

Re: Cloudera's Distribution for Hadoop

Posted by Vadim Zaliva <kr...@gmail.com>.
Great news! I've been using homemade hadoop RPMs for some time and
will be glad to
switch to these.

Since I am using bleeding edge version of pig I will be interested in
PIG RPMs done daily from PIG SVN.

Vadim

Posted by Christophe Bisciglia <ch...@cloudera.com>.
Mark, this is great feedback.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@gmail.com>.
Christophe,

Posted by Christophe Bisciglia <ch...@cloudera.com>.
We've talked to the HBase folks, and we are considering including
hbase - we just need to do one thing at a time...

If you'd like us to keep track of this request relative to others,
please make a note on Get Satisfaction:
http://www.getsatisfaction.com/cloudera - it's really easy, and it
drives most of our new feature development.

So far, we're seeing a lot of requests for debian packages. If you
want something other than that, please speak up :-)

Christophe

Posted by Tom Nichols <tm...@gmail.com>.