Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Taylor <pa...@fastmail.fm> on 2004/11/04 13:09:19 UTC

Tomcat 4.1 not starting, how do I track error (database pooling)

Hi
having written an application that ran fine on Tomcat 5 I am having to
regress it to run on Tomcat 4.1 running on Windows. part of the
deployment involves setting up database pooling.

First of all I deployed my application war only and started Tomcat using
catalina start this worked ok, but I then needed to configure database
pooling to get it fully working.

In Tomcat 5.0 I had a config file /contextname.xml /under
CATLINA_HOME/conf/catalina/localhost which worked fine, under Tomcat 4.0
I have added the contents to  server.xml. I then ran catalina.bat start
this starts another window but then disappears immediately before I am
able to trap the problem, there is nothing in the log file to indicate
the problem.

Could anybody please help with any of the following ?

1. How do I stop the window started my Catalina from disappearing so I
can see what the problem is.
2. In Tomcat 4.0 can I have a config file for my application rather than
adding it to server.xml
3. I am using the mysqllConnectector 3.15 driver does this work with
Tomcat 4.0.
4. Are pooling connections configured the same in 4 as 5 or not below I
have listed the contents of my xml file from Tomcat 5.

<Context path="/kijil" displayname="kijil" debug="0" privileged="true">

<Resource name="jdbc/kijil"
            auth="Container"
            type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

  <ResourceParams name="jdbc/kijil">
    <parameter>
      <name>factory</name>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
      <name>maxActive</name>
      <value>100</value>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
      <name>maxIdle</name>
      <value>30</value>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
      <name>maxWait</name>
      <value>10000</value>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
     <name>username</name>
     <value>kijil</value>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
     <name>password</name>
     <value>flyup</value>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
      <name>driverClassName</name>
      <value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
    </parameter>

    <parameter>
      <name>url</name>
      <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/kijil?autoReconnect=true</value>
    </parameter>
  </ResourceParams>

</Context>