Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> on 2012/01/02 17:18:24 UTC

What if any responsibility will Apache OpenOffice have with regards to legacy software

Hi,

I own a couple of HP computers, one of which a Mini 110 includes a HP
specific Linux distro (Mi) which came pre-installed.

The other day the system performed an update from the Mi reposotories,
including a new version of OpenOffice.org - an update to version 2.4...

So, back to my subject line.

Just a general question.

Thanks

//drew

Re: What if any responsibility will Apache OpenOffice have with regards to legacy software

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 2, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2012, at 10:02 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> This language is required Apache branding.
>>>

>> I believe you are misinterpreting the Podling branding page [1]
>>
>> When it says 'Apache "Podling-Name" is currently undergoing Incubation
>> at the Apache Software Foundation' is puts "Polding-Name" in double
>> quotes merely as notation to indicate that you substitute the real
>> podling name there.  You see this used purely as a notation on the
>> next bullet item where it says:
>>
>> Inclusion of the http://incubator.apache.org/"podling-name"
>>
>> Obviously they are not saying that we put the podling name in quotes in the URL.
>>
>> Also, if you look a paragraph later to the example disclaimer you see
>> that you do not actually include the quotes in the disclaimer.
>>
>> So I think we're out-of-policy with the way the disclaimer currently reads.
>>
>> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

>>> Where I am going with the CMS is towards convergence on the layout.
>>>
>>> By "long term plan" I mean when the project thinks we should make branding changes to the OpenOffice.org logo. We need to have a clear consensus on changing the logo. We may need oversight from the IPMC and trademarks. Once we do then changes are trivial.
>>>
>>> So, changing the logo on openoffice.org is something that I am not willing to JFDI nor am I willing to CTR. In this case we need to RTC - review then commit.
>>>
>>> It's my opinion that the general community will interpret this logo change and the project message should be clear about the change if and when it occurs.
>>>

>> We voted to adopt the name Apache OpenOffice.  I think necessary steps
>> to implement the agreed upon rebranding can be done on a CTR basis.
>> But I'd agree that the exact logo we adopt should be RTC.  However,
>> there are other aspects of branding, noncontroversial and reversible,
>> that are candidates for JFDI.
>
> Fine with me. Should anyone JFDI on ooo-site's skeleton.html keep in mind that it will take up to two hours to make it into production. Last night's changes were larger and took perhaps three hours - not sure I fell asleep.

FYI - I found a problem with the search box on FF. The fix is being committed now along with a rephrase of the footer from Apache "OpenOffice.org" to Apache OpenOffice.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.