Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> on 2015/04/17 22:54:16 UTC

Wicket Ajax debug window usefulness?

Hi,

Do you still use Wicket Ajax Debug window for something when developing
your applications?

I haven't used it in few years now and it seems I don't miss it.
I can see all the debug information in the browser's dev tools:
- ajax response in the Network tab
- info and error messages in the JS Console tab

Is there something that makes it still useful or we can drop it for Wicket
8?

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Re: Wicket Ajax debug window usefulness?

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Then +1 to drop it. :-)

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
>> developers, this is invaluable since they dont know to constantly look at
>> the server console. It would be great if that could be expanded to included
>> indications of other server side errors ( such as serialization problems ).
>
> The serialization of the page is done after the flushing of the response so
> it is a bit late.
> We can implement a new way to notify WebSocket/ServerSentEvent/AjaxPolling
> instead and show a floating div (like Growl) with the error message...

At €dayjob we have a behavior on the page that performs an additional
Ajax call to the server to see if there were any serialization errors
(we have extended the serialization checker with a check for Hibernate
entities), and then redirect to an error page if any serverside errors
were detected.

Martijn

Re: Wicket Ajax debug window usefulness?

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Nick Pratt <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the most helpful features of the debug window is the red flashing
> indication when there's an error detected by Wicket.  For newer Wicket

Good point!
This is a good reason to have wicket-ajax-debug-jquery.js around.
Or we can recommend something like:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/javascript-errors-notifie/jafmfknfnkoekkdocjiaipcnmkklaajd

Posted by Nick Pratt <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.