Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> on 2006/05/03 22:32:46 UTC

URL Discussion: Ensuring a proper tag space

This is a separate subtopic of the general url discussion going on.
This discussion centers around if/how we should define a proper tag
space for each weblog.

The current proposal is only setup to allow tags to be passed in as a
query parameter to the weblog collections view like this ...

/<weblog>?tags=tag+tag

While there is nothing functionally wrong with that it is actually
against the current web standards of providing a path based tag space.
Most sites (del.icio.us, flickr, technorati, etc) have standardized on
the convention of a tag space like this ...

myurl/tag(s)/<tag>

I think it would be appropriate for Roller to follow that convention and
thus include this in the set of new urls (when tagging support is ready) ...

/<weblog>/tag/<tag>

Thoughts?  Comments?

-- Allen

Re: URL Discussion: Ensuring a proper tag space

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.
This discussion never really got started, so I assume that this isn't
something people are too worried about.  Elias chimed in with his
preference and I agree that we should provide a path based url tag space
to conform to current standards, so that's what I am planning to do.
I'll update the proposal today.

If anyone hasn't weighed in on this and wants to, now would be the time.

-- Allen

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.

Allen Gilliland wrote:
> This is a separate subtopic of the general url discussion going on. This
> discussion centers around if/how we should define a proper tag space for
> each weblog.
>
> The current proposal is only setup to allow tags to be passed in as a
> query parameter to the weblog collections view like this ...
>
> /<weblog>?tags=tag+tag
>
> While there is nothing functionally wrong with that it is actually
> against the current web standards of providing a path based tag space.
> Most sites (del.icio.us, flickr, technorati, etc) have standardized on
> the convention of a tag space like this ...
>
> myurl/tag(s)/<tag>
>
> I think it would be appropriate for Roller to follow that convention and
> thus include this in the set of new urls (when tagging support is ready)
>
> /<weblog>/tag/<tag>

I prefer this one.