Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Brian Fleming <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/12 22:47:53 UTC

Node repair : excessive data

Hi,

We simulated a node 'failure' on one of our nodes by deleting the entire
Cassandra installation directory & reconfiguring a fresh instance with the
same token.  When we issued a 'repair' it started streaming data back onto
the node as expected.

However after the repair completed, we had over 2.5 times the original
load.  Issuing a 'cleanup' reduced this to about 1.5 times the original
load.  We observed an increase in the number of keys via 'cfstats' which is
obviously accounting for the increased load.

Would anybody know why the repair pulled more keys in than it had initially
with the same token?  How can we avoid this recurring?

If we didn't have sufficient headroom on the disk to handle say 3 times the
load, we could be in a difficult situation should we experience a genuine
failure.

(we're using Cassandra 1.0.5, 12 nodes split across 2 data centres, total
cluster load during testing was about 150GB)

Many thanks,

Brian

Re: "show schema" bombs in 0.8.6

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi, this reminds me a problem I had with a truncate.

I think that to show schema, you're cluster must be stable and your schema
agreed across the cluster.

See if your cluster is really the one described by your nodetool ring and
if the same schema is present on each node.

You should visit this  :
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#schema_disagreement

I'm not a Cassandra dev, I may be wrong about what your real problem is.

Alain

Re: "show schema" bombs in 0.8.6

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
I haven't seen that one before.  Can you create a ticket?

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

"show schema" bombs in 0.8.6

Re: Node repair : excessive data

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Brian Fleming <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> However after the repair completed, we had over 2.5 times the original
> load.  Issuing a 'cleanup' reduced this to about 1.5 times the original
> load.  We observed an increase in the number of keys via 'cfstats' which is
> obviously accounting for the increased load.
>
> Would anybody know why the repair pulled more keys in than it had
> initially with the same token?  How can we avoid this recurring?

Did you repair just prior to deleting the data directory?  It's possible
that your node was missing data that it was supposed to have before you
started the test.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>