Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Guy Katz <gk...@allot.com> on 2004/07/15 09:40:14 UTC

can a virtual host have its own privatly used SSL certificate?

hi;
i am going to put my application in  a shared hosting solution which does
not provide any shared SSL support.
is it possible to buy and put a SSL certificate in the scope of my virtual
host in the hosting company. (i mean is it technically possible -
disregarding the hosting company policy).

____________________
Guy Katz
Allot Communications
gkatz@allot.com
tel: +972 9 7619288
fax: +972 9 7443626

Re: can a virtual host have its own privatly used SSL certificate?

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
>
>> SSL is done on IP level. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that TLS is
>> on application level, but I haven't heard of HTTP/TLS.
>

> HTTP/TLS does exist, it just isn't supported by the major servers yet.

Good to hear that. IMHO, it will not be so much the server-side-support
problem, but clients. There are a lot of clients out there and making
them all compliant will take some time.

Nix.

Re: can a virtual host have its own privatly used SSL certificate?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Nikola Milutinovic wrote:

> SSL is done on IP level. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that TLS is
> on application level, but I haven't heard of HTTP/TLS.

HTTP/TLS does exist, it just isn't supported by the major servers yet.

Regards,
Graham

Re: can a virtual host have its own privatly used SSL certificate?

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
Guy Katz wrote:

> hi;
> i am going to put my application in  a shared hosting solution which does
> not provide any shared SSL support.
> is it possible to buy and put a SSL certificate in the scope of my virtual
> host in the hosting company. (i mean is it technically possible -
> disregarding the hosting company policy).

SSL is done on IP level. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that TLS is
on application level, but I haven't heard of HTTP/TLS.

What this boils down to is that a certificate can be issued for only one
  host on one physical IP. If you have virtual hosts, only one of them
can have a certificate.

Nix.

Re: can a virtual host have its own privatly used SSL certificate?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Guy Katz wrote:

> i am going to put my application in  a shared hosting solution which does
> not provide any shared SSL support.
> is it possible to buy and put a SSL certificate in the scope of my virtual
> host in the hosting company. (i mean is it technically possible -
> disregarding the hosting company policy).

Technical short answer: no.

Regards,
Graham