Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Lee Mallabone <le...@transactgroup.net> on 2005/10/12 14:09:43 UTC

jsr170 browse tools

Hi,

I just joined the list, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. I
didn't see it in recent archives.

Do any free web/client gui tools exist for browsing JSR170/Jackrabbit
repositories?

I am just starting to experiment with Jackrabbit and it would be very useful
to get a structural view of the content I'm putting in.

Lee Mallabone.

Re: jsr170 browse tools

Posted by Oliver Kiessler <ol...@gmail.com>.
> I just joined the list, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. I
> didn't see it in recent archives.
>
> Do any free web/client gui tools exist for browsing JSR170/Jackrabbit
> repositories?
>
> I am just starting to experiment with Jackrabbit and it would be very useful
> to get a structural view of the content I'm putting in.

You may want to have a look at this:
http://www.karma-mvc.org/confluence/display/BROWSER/Home

regards,
oliver

Re: jsr170 browse tools

Posted by Lee Mallabone <le...@transactgroup.net>.
On Wednesday 12 October 2005 15:03, David Nuescheler wrote:

> [off topic: just with respect to eugeny's earlier question this puts you
> into the range of 600k nodes and probably around ~2m properties. is that
> correct?]

I have just over 600k nodes, yes. I think I'm nearer to 1 million properties,
rather than 2million - I've got very minimal property data, set only on the
jcr:content nodes.

To give an idea of the timings I'm seeing: I use getNode() to retrieve a
random folder node, then find its children (with getNodes()) and retrieve the
image data of the first nt:file node. The average time I'm seeing to do that
is about 280ms. This is on a P4 3.2GHz machine, dual SATA RAID storage,
running Linux. The average time to add an image (just adding the nt:file and
jcr:content nodes with requisite properties) is about 200ms.

These are not accurately measured averages I'm afraid; I've been outputting
lots of timings at various stages of my experiments recently and they're
roughly the average times I'm seeing.

Lee Mallabone.

Re: jsr170 browse tools

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi lee,

> > how would an eclipse plugin work for you?
> > http://www.day.com/eclipse/
> Looks great, though unfortunately I've ran into a problem using it. I have a
> Jackrabbit repository with 3000 nt:folder nodes directly below the root node.
> Each folder node has ~100 nt:file child nodes.
[off topic: just with respect to eugeny's earlier question this puts you into
the range of 600k nodes and probably around ~2m properties. is that correct?]

> When I try and open the root node of my repository using the eclipse plugin,
> Eclipse runs out of memory, even if I put the max heap size of the workbench
> up to 400 meg. Given that the 3000 nodes have no user metadata associated
> with them, I can only assume that the whole workspace is being loaded?
hmmm... to draw the tree properly the first level needs to be loaded and
additionally the level underneith to find out if a particular node has children.

as a quick fix you could segment out your folders into various subfolders.
this may help your memory consumption. i have to admit though that i
did not look into the details of the code, so i may be way off here.

> Is the plugin open source at all?
not yet ;)

> Is the code available? I'm wiling to submit
> patches where possible if so.
thanks, but ... ;)

we will take a look at it asap, in the meantime i could maybe get you
excited about the gui shipping with crx (http://jcr.day.com), which would
be the webbased equivalent of the eclipse plugin.
it is also free in its trial version.

regards,
david

Re: jsr170 browse tools

Posted by Lee Mallabone <le...@transactgroup.net>.
On Wednesday 12 October 2005 13:52, David Nuescheler wrote:

> how would an eclipse plugin work for you?
>
> http://www.day.com/eclipse/

Looks great, though unfortunately I've ran into a problem using it. I have a
Jackrabbit repository with 3000 nt:folder nodes directly below the root node.
Each folder node has ~100 nt:file child nodes.

When I try and open the root node of my repository using the eclipse plugin,
Eclipse runs out of memory, even if I put the max heap size of the workbench
up to 400 meg. Given that the 3000 nodes have no user metadata associated
with them, I can only assume that the whole workspace is being loaded?

Is the plugin open source at all? Is the code available? I'm wiling to submit
patches where possible if so.

Lee.

Re: jsr170 browse tools

Posted by digby <li...@digby.net>.
Oh, okay. Thanks Felix. I was just trying to connect to a plain old file
system repository. Will try again when I've got time.

Digby

Re: jsr170 browse tools

Posted by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com>.
Hi Digby,