Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de> on 2002/06/17 06:25:20 UTC

Re: Embperl and mod_perl 2 (was: HTM- EmbPerl)

Hi,

> HTML-EmbPerl is one of my favorite modules!

:-)

> I blithly tried to install HTML Embperl with a multithreaded perl and
> Apache 2.0.36.  The install of course, is specific for apache 1.3.x.  Is
> there going to be an apache 2.0.x version available anytime soon?

Embperl 2.0b8, which I will release during the next days, works with
Apache/mod_perl 2, but only in the prefork mode. This is because to really
use mod_perl in the threaded mode, you need Perl 5.8.0, because while 5.6.1
works, regular expression are really not thread safe in 5.6.1 and (and
that's more imported for Embperl) there are no shared variables between Perl
interpreter threads. Embperl require these shared variables, because the
cacheing should of course not per thread, but the cache should be accessed
by all threads.

I currently working on getting Embperl running with Perl 5.8.0 RC1 and my
plan is to have a threadsafe version of Embperl 2 ready, when the 5.8.0 is
out, maybe earlier.

Gerald

P.S. Because of the regex threadsafe problem in 5.6.1 I would currently use
mod_perl 2 in prefork mode to get familar with mod_perl/Apache 2 and switch
over to threaded mode when 5.8.0 is out.

Re: Embperl and mod_perl 2 (was: HTM- EmbPerl)

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

> Thanks for your letter... it was most illuminating, especially the part
> about regex's not being thread-safe.  I learned something new!  Do you
> feel that the issues you raise are a problem for the Windows
> implementation of Apache/Mod-Perl 2?  On Windows, mod_perl seems to
> insist that you use a threaded perl.

Yes, the final release of mod_perl 2 will not run on any Perl before 5.8.0
when Apache runs in threaded mode. On Windows Apache always runs in threaded
mode, because Windows doesn't have a fork system call.

Gerald

P.S. Please keep the discussion on list. Other people might be interested in
this topic as well