Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2005/11/16 23:24:52 UTC

Issue 142: Allow embedded discriminator column

Javadogs,

Currently, there is no standard way to describe the mapping of
embedded instances that use a discriminator column.

Issue 142
Allow embedded discriminator column

This proposal adds the discriminator element to the embedded element
for both .jdo and .orm mappings.

<!ELEMENT embedded (extension*, discriminator?, (field|property)*,
extension*)>

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Issue 142: Allow embedded discriminator column

Posted by Abe White <aw...@bea.com>.
> Currently, there is no standard way to describe the mapping of
> embedded instances that use a discriminator column.

There is no good way to support inheritance of embedded objects.  I
vote against the spec trying to shoehorn something in.  Let vendors
who want to support it come up with their own solutions.